Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Lake design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake design

Well as a few of you will have read on here I am in the process of designing and building a fishery from scratch...

I'm not going to build just a "hole in the ground" and I'm looking for advice on the depths and shelves etc... one of the lakes will be a snake type lake but loads of the snakes I have fished are all the same - six foot deep in the middle and shelving up to nothing with no noticable shelves or depth changes - question is this -

If you were digging a snake type lake what would you have and what would you avoid?
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Where abouts is this lake your in the middle of sorting?
    [COLOR="Magenta"][B][FONT="Arial Black"]The Minx[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/GemmaD/Banners/sig2.gif[/IMG]

Comment

In a currently secret location Gem... needless to say you can see where in the country I am and I'm not building it in Birmingham!
      Simon Young
      Admin

Comment

*tuts*

Aslong as there was a good head of fish in there i wouldnt be bothered too much about depth (aslong as it wasnt 1 or 2ft all the way along). As at the end of the day im there to catch fish and enjoy myself not to inspect if someones gone very carefully with a tape measure! or if they had a few beers before digging the depths
        [COLOR="Magenta"][B][FONT="Arial Black"]The Minx[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/GemmaD/Banners/sig2.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Isnt the very nature of the Snake lake to be as even as possible.... to give all anglers the same features and make it a fair match venue...
          I would say one of the main things to remember when digging a lake, dont bank the soil to close to lake otherwise its a nightmare for fishing the pole... Willows at Decoy as a good example..
          Also if its going to be match venue then you need to try and make it fair... nothing worse than a peggy venue... willow, Lawn Farm another good example.. Oh maybe its somthing to do with the name??? dont call it Willow!!!!
          If I had the Cash to build a fishery I would love to incorperate a fast flowing stream for Barbel not sure how I would acheive it but I would give it a go..

Comment

we already have some of those fast stream type ones with barbel in they are called severn and teme the one is 200 odd miles long..
            In darkness we do what we can
            In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

thats one of those that runs down hill... init?
              dont they call them rivers or somthing like that...thing of the past they are!!!

Comment

you got no hills in cambridge have ya...
                In darkness we do what we can
                In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

You got me on that one Larry..
                  Although, we do make our own normally around our lakes... init!!!

Comment

Hi Simon, if you want a good example of a snake to look at take a trip to Sessay and have a look at Cedar lake. It is match only so you would have to fish a match to plumb up and appreciate the way ledges etc. are incorporated. but it really is impressive and about as fair a venue you will get. you can never guess which peg will win, even in winter when fish are notorious for favouring to live in just a few pegs.

Comment

I agree with X-man Simon (for once!), Cedar is an ultra consistent venue, which is what you want. The main considerations from my point of view are:

13m wide, so everyone can fish across if they want to.

Have a number of ondulations to prevent the venue being as wind dominated. E.g the Oasis lake at Lindholme will be a nightmare with wind on it, as all the fish will follow the wind into a corner.

Ensure the pegs are a good distance apart. I have fished some lakes with 50 pegs on them, which are in reality only 30 peg lakes.

From a commercial point of view, ensure there are at least 60 well spaced pegs, to ensure you get 50 anglers on a weekend to earn Kammy points. There are not many commercial venue 50+ peggers down by you, so that would be a real draw.

Good luck

Comment

Yes I have fished at The Oaks quite alot... I am toying with the idea of a snake, however some people say they want a venue to be "as fair as possible" and others prefer the chance to beat the superstars by just drawing a peg.... I think as long as everyone has a decent days fishing then the venue is doing its job.
                        Simon Young
                        Admin

Comment

Leave some space for tents for when we hold T/A weekenders

Comment

Designing a lake.

Simon, i think the snake is the best idea for a lake its fair and makes the Angler work to catch fish but shelfs are needed 6ft up to 2ft with reed beds in the margins. Let me know when its ready because we will book a match no problem.
                            [url]www.salvesen-angling-club.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Don't have a straight bank. Cut slots/bays in it to give holding places for the fish to stop in. Or put a bush opposite every peg to do the same. Any feature will do but give everybody one. Do make sure it is a maximum of 13m. Us old coggers can't do 14.5m or 16m. If you put solid platforms in put a couple of holes for a brolly and nets. If you've got a good digger you could stepthe far bank to give everyone some shelves to fish.

Comment

Working...
                              X