Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

?Do fish have good hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?Do fish have good hearing

Now then seriously,i have allways taken my small pocket radio with me when i fish but only have the volume very low,a chap in a peg next to me sugested that i turn the radio off,as we were both strugling.i said said to him "Dont be daft,fish can't hear such low noises"..so ?Whose right me or the other bloke.

they feel vibration,be it from noise or people walking about

Comment

Fordy is 100% correct fish use vibration and in some breeds sonar type location,even electro sensory.
      but on our commies the majority are super sensotive to vibe. maggot/corn falling on a wooden swim is enough to warn fish your there.

but noise can also be used to the anglers advantage, like baiting an area the fish are partly attracted to the noise so gingerly come to check it out.

tapping ( tapping pole tip on surface)is also a technique and is infact banned on some venues.
      Last edited by Tarks; 29 April 2010, 05:10 PM.
      [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
      Speci Carper

Comment

Maybe but like above they can definitely feel vibrations. All radios should be banned on matches anyway, if i was next to an angler with a radio i wouldn't be best pleased low volume or not.

I'm sure they are banned according to NFA rules (Angling trust now) plus alot of fisheries ban them anyway, so are mobile phones.

Comment

All fish have lateral lines across there body, they use it to pick up vibrations.

When i fish the canal i intend to pick up alot of fish under my feet, and the worse possible thing i could do is bang and stamp about becasue the fish will clear off straight away.

Its a different matter from the vibrations that baits give off when going in. even if it spooks the fish at first, there inquisitive and will come back too investigate.

Comment

pardon
            Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
            If you havnt got a good partner.
            Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

hmm Rive t you stepping on toads or post whoring lol

Pardon you fella
              [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
              Speci Carper

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
                Maybe but like above they can definitely feel vibrations. All radios should be banned on matches anyway, if i was next to an angler with a radio i wouldn't be best pleased low volume or not.

I'm sure they are banned according to NFA rules (Angling trust now) plus alot of fisheries ban them anyway, so are mobile phones.
                Not on a match Mark just pleasure session,if i was match fishing i would'nt be using a radio,the radio was on ultra low volume so only i coudnt hear it,the guy took a mardy pill cus he was'nt catching owt.

Comment

Mick....

When I used to fish in my teenage years (only circa 15 years ago), I used to fish all the time with my radio on low volume. OK, I was on my own on the river, but your point was about the noise, not about someone else who would find it annoying.
                  Did it ever stop my catching fish? No. I used to catch all the time. In fact loads of fish, and close in.
                  So whilst the theory is there, i'm not really convinced it makes ought of a difference.

Comment

just to put the cat amongst the pigeons..... i have seen anglers at stratford fishing between the barges that are moored.catching roach one a chook and the boat s have there radios on and are banging about .....sort that one out......
                    In darkness we do what we can
                    In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Originally posted by Mickangler View Post
                      Not on a match Mark just pleasure session,if i was match fishing i would'nt be using a radio,the radio was on ultra low volume so only i coudnt hear it,the guy took a mardy pill cus he was'nt catching owt.
                      Haha sorry mate i misread it as you were on a match, can't see a problem with it pleasure fishing. I've seen loads of people doing on pleasure sessions and i don't think it really affects the fishing either.

Comment

I would say yes they do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Have you every seen one wearing a hearing - aid
                        Blind acceptance is a sign of stupid fools that stand in line

Comment

Cyprinid fish and other families of fish posess a structure known as Weberian ossicles which are a series of small bones that link the swim bladder to the middle ear. Pressure changes (vibrations) from external sounds are conducted from the swim bladder to the ear via the Weberian ossicles. If you sit quietly when fish are milling around the surface and then shout, or cough loudly, the fish will spook as it is a sudden sharp 'wave' of vibration. A radio playing may spook fish if it is turned up suddenly, but a steady stream of sound shouldn't bother them too much. A lot of footsteps wlaking round just before a match may spook fish initially, but it is likely that putting your seatbox down to heavily, or hammering your brolly stick in is more likely to send them to the opposite end of the pool.

Try this.... if you are on a match of, say, 20 anglers around one pool, get everyone to creep round John Wilson style with light steady footsteps, sit well back from the water to tackle up, with no shouting and cursing across the pool, then arrange their kit close in as quiet a manner as possible and see if more fish are caught. When i used to fish the cut, I went through a period when I would do this and ny catch rate definitely improved. Lets face it - you could fish the margins from 2m back from the bank!

On the other hand of course, the major cafuffle (if thats how you spell it!) caused by most matches could also signal dinner time for the fish and they know they are gonna get fed....... or they 'learn' that a certain time after the cafuffle, that they can feed safely! Fish ain't daft and they ain't deaf either... it's just a different type of 'hearing'.
                          [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Do Fish Have Good Hearing ?

Not my bloody goldfish. Deaf as posts!!

I can shout and shout at them to get the kettle on as they live right next to it and nothing ever happens. Yet when I go in there the greedy sods start swimming to their feeding hatch and gawping at it awaiting their pellets.

Seriously though, I'd go with what Phil says!

Comment

I reckon you must have giant ossicles stuart

Please tell me you're not keeping ya fish in the kitchen? Sudden rises and falls in temperature, toxic gasses..... ???
                              [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X