Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

5hrs yesterday and hardly a nibble - Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5hrs yesterday and hardly a nibble - Help!!

Morning all
    I have a another question, I hope you can help.

I had a day off yesterday and snook off for a bit of "m"e time .. – (sshh don’t tell the wife ) At the start I put in balls of ground bait, after about an hour of fishing the swim just started to bubble and fish like a Jacuzzi. But I could not catch anything!!!! So I added more and more bait, and the bubbles just increased.

After the best part of 5 hours I had only managed 6 skimmers maybe 1lb each.

So come on, what was I doing wrong.. ?!?!

Ant

Ok more information needed m8 where did you fish!
    Paypal gift is for friends only

Comment

to much feed in at all the way through. when the water turns into a bubble bath the fish are feeding through the gills and wont take any bait directly fish do this when they are either cleaning the gills out or searching for nutrients via the gills in the groundbait you have put in.

the swim will always die off when the fizzing occurs.

best chance is to go to a margin on a diff bait well away form your fizzy area rest it and feed very little on each ship out.

the swim will slowly return to you but you may have killed the swim of for hours depending on the level of feed thats gone in.

in my exp its too much ground bait right through your swim that causes fizzing and a slow swim.
      all waters are slighty diff in behaviour tho
      as rich says give us more info mate

Tight Lines.
      [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
      Speci Carper

Comment

Sounds like you may have overfed mate-i normally only start with 3 or 4 satsuma's at the beginning,then maybe add one every once in a while depending on the catch rate-the bubbling could have been from the groundbait fizzing-what mix were you using? I often get that,but can still normally catch when it's fizzing. Were you getting liners?
        Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
        Alwight tweacle?

Comment

fish feeding through the gills...........are you really sure.phone a friend..is gill feeding a phenomenon..i personally think it is
          In darkness we do what we can
          In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

your poss right larry but one thing is for sure its the fish making the bubbles and it only happens to me when ground bait is in the swim in excess. ive never had this happen with just particals ie hemp corn.

we injest many a thing via our airways im sure its possible for fish to get some benifit just the same amonia is a killer for tank fish they take that via gills dont they?
            im not saying its a dead cert but its logical to assume in my mind, why else doe this only happen right over your bed of bait?
            [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
            Speci Carper

Comment

It also happens when you use a very active groundbait mix,tarks-i fished gold valley with big si a little while ago and I balled in some groundbait and it was like a jakuzzi-but the fish were going mad and we had over a ton each-bream and carp.
              Alwight tweacle?

Comment

i am certain they are fish bubbles without a doubt.....but as far as i know they suck plankton and daphnia through gills.....But are we sure they aint sucking broken down pellets and ground bait through there gills like a liquid feed..i think what ever they are doing they are preoccupied with it and are very hard to catch..But what do i knowjust my observations
                In darkness we do what we can
                In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Skimmers are without doubt the culprits,and are more than likely grubbing right deep in the silt, hence the difficulties in catching them, try fishing off the feed area by anything up to a couple of metres, dont introduce bait into the new areas just feed the original area. Fizzing can happen if only a small amount of bait is introduced, and can as others have said be as a result of an over active ground bait try mixing your groundbait up the day before to make it as inert as possible.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Throw a load of corn in and drive them pesky little skimmers out and wait for the lumps to arrive

Comment

just my opinion no science involved lol not the first time ive been wrong at least the observation is there. my swims die off while this happens anyway every time.
                      Speci Carper

Comment

I,ve had fizzing in my swims after a few balls of gbait and fished over the top with corn or meat on a feeder and caught carp and tench.When the fizzing starts i always fish corn or meat and always catch strange but true.But i agree with not putting lots of gbait in just 2 or 3 balls to start and top up with corn and meat to bring in the better stamp of fish.

Comment

I'm not saying it doesn't happen,mate-but I think this time it's too much groundbait-but hey-even I'm wrong sometimes! Lol! (Quite often my missus is forever saying!) ;-)
                          Alwight tweacle?

Comment

surely fish suck in through their mouths & blow out the stuff they don't want through their gills, this causes the fizzing effect, it may be that the groundbait was active & rising up from the bottom causing the fish to feed up in the water above the presented hookbait.
                            please let me draw a flyer

Comment

Tending to agree with what drynetter has just said. As far as i'm aware the gills themselves are a tool for the extraction of oxygen from the water with the 'used' water being exhausted out through the gill covers.
                              MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

Working...
                              X