• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fishster
    Talk Angling User
    Talk Angling Behemoth
    • Feb 2009

Bream Bottom feeders or not

I was fishing my local the other day and had a couple of nice bream at dead depth on pellet and then decided to fish for roach on my roach rig at 3ft as the water is 20ft the roach were only 3 to 4ft under and i was catching a few and cataupaulted a load of red maggots out to my float the next thing my elastic strtched out of my pole as i was only fishing a six laccy.When i finally got it in it was a bream of 7lb caught on red maggot 3ft under in a 20ft swim and this happened twice more.so are Bream bottom feeders or not.Answers please and thoughts on why this happened cheers lads.
  • FORDY-1
    Banned
    Site Life Member
    • Aug 2006

Ive had a few big skimmers(2lb) or so on floaters before,some venues u can catch them well ,right up in the water.

Comment

• Tarks
      Talk Angling User
      Talk Angling Behemoth
      • Feb 2010

in 20 ft of water would it be a poss to have a thermal layer that the bream patrol up in the water? if so like a carp wouldthey take any food infront of them?
      [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
      Speci Carper

Comment

• luke carpstalker
        Talk Angling User
        PHD in Angling
        • Apr 2010

I've had bream on flaoting crust, albeit in 5ft of water.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

• stevelockett
          Monster Fish
          Site Life Member
          • Aug 2006

Most modern thought and experience suggests they most certainly do not live on the bottom.
          Apparently they do not graze on the bottom as we all assumed either, but sit well up and dive down to pick up single bits of food. That is courtesy of Steve Ringer whose brother Phil was involved in filming that behaviour on a Dutch lake while feeder fishing.
          The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
          Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
          Check out:
          www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
          log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

• scorpio
            Talk Angling User
            Double Ton
            • May 2009

we often see bream head and shoulders out the water and cruising around on the top at our lake. like any other fish they are greedy so if it gets put where they can eat it I am sure they will eat it
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Frisky Fish
              Talk Angling User
              Angling Giant
              • Sep 2009

My local is 12 feet deep and full of carp tench and bream. Its not uncommon to catch all these fish 2ft deep as we do on most visits. I had 7 tench on the bounce last Saturday fishing 3ft deep in 11ft of water but I only had 1 bream about 3lb and a load of carp up to 8lb.

Comment

• fish farmer
                Talk Angling User
                Site Life Member
                • Nov 2008

Botom feeding fish will often come up in the water to intercept food items depending on available food items at the time. If there are a lot of bloodworm they will feed from the bottom to get at it. As bloodworm pupate, they migrate through the water column to hatch at the surface and will be intercepted at any depth by feeding fish. It will also depend on algae and oxygen levels coupled with temperature and agae-eating organisms such as daphnia that are poikilothermic (ie they find the level of water where their preferred temperature exists).
                [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

• drynetter
                  Talk Angling User
                  Double Ton
                  • Sep 2009

fish the pellet waggler a lot at packington gearys & catch big skimmers & tench at six inches depth, i think fish on commercials adapt to the anglers feeding methods, we feed for cruising carp & skimmers come up for a free meal.
                  please let me draw a flyer

Comment

• fish farmer
                    Talk Angling User
                    Site Life Member
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by drynetter View Post
                    fish the pellet waggler a lot at packington gearys & catch big skimmers & tench at six inches depth, i think fish on commercials adapt to the anglers feeding methods, we feed for cruising carp & skimmers come up for a free meal.
                    'big skimers', lol. Aren't they called bream mate?

Most species of coarse fish in still water are known as bentho-pelagic, which means they feed from the bottom (benthos) and in open water at all depths. Yes they move up in the water to intercept baits / natural foods at higher levels, as they are competing with their fellows for fod.
                    [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

• david_avfc
                      dedicated_angler_4ever
                      Site Life Member
                      • Feb 2009

I've caught bream on the bottom, Mid depth, And right up in the water & on the drop. And from floating crust.

I have a skimmer is my aquarium and he spends most of his time mid depth, He comes up for flake and pellets, And will feed on bloodworm when i introduce it, And he grubs about on the bottom with his head down. I've only had him 6 weeks, And im putting alot of concentration into his habbits. Same goes for my roach, barbel and tench i have in there, amoungst my many koi carp.

Comment

• phillyfingers
                        Talk Angling User
                        Talk Angling Whale
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by fishster View Post
                        I was fishing my local the other day and had a couple of nice bream at dead depth on pellet and then decided to fish for roach on my roach rig at 3ft as the water is 20ft the roach were only 3 to 4ft under and i was catching a few and cataupaulted a load of red maggots out to my float the next thing my elastic strtched out of my pole as i was only fishing a six laccy.When i finally got it in it was a bream of 7lb caught on red maggot 3ft under in a 20ft swim and this happened twice more.so are Bream bottom feeders or not.Answers please and thoughts on why this happened cheers lads.
                        hi fishster, was this the TRAP you were fishing at mate? same thing happended at monks pool johnstown, when i used to fish it, but never caught bream that big there! bream are addapted to feeding on the bottom , but in these huge depths will hang in midwater where they feel most comfortible, so are idealy placed to take advantage of any feeding opportunity that come up! imo!!! tight lines.phil.

Comment

• fishster
                          Talk Angling User
                          Talk Angling Behemoth
                          • Feb 2009

phillyfingers
                          no it wasnt the trap it was the mill in flint which i am a club member.

Comment

• fishster
                            Talk Angling User
                            Talk Angling Behemoth
                            • Feb 2009

by the way my avatar is a trap pool carp of 20lb phillyfingers i caught it about 3 yrs ago but am no longer a member of the trap as fishing has declined at the trap.

Comment

• jethro
                              Talk Angling User
                              Site Life Member
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by fish farmer View Post
                              'big skimers', lol. Aren't they called bream mate?

Most species of coarse fish in still water are known as bentho-pelagic, which means they feed from the bottom (benthos) and in open water at all depths. Yes they move up in the water to intercept baits / natural foods at higher levels, as they are competing with their fellows for fod.
                              First I not foolish enough to contradict fish farmer & he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought pelagic fish were sea fish IE sail fish & tuna types.
                              I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                              He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Working...
                              X