Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

pole elastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pole elastic

My Mate reckons that after putting new elastic in the pole it should be tight but my preference is for it to have a bit of slack, who's right ? what are your thoughts on this ?
    Jeff.
    The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice we give to others

Well. Ill say it as I see it. Your elastic is your main thing keeping hold of the fish! this takes the tension off when the fish decides to run so the elastic has to do more work with a fair bit of give in the elastics, now tighter ones the fish can only go so far then the elastic will either give way or the hook will come out. You need to leave some slack to give to play, when you thread your pole with the wire hold your sections upside down, when it has fully came out just pull it a little bit, two or three inches. that will be enough then.

Another example, you have a decent fish. you also have tight elastic what can stretch 10 feet, if you do hook a big one the fish will probably run past that leaving your elastic using all its worth before something gives way, now with less tension you have alot more give so your can play more, if needed bang a few more sections on.

Some people may see it different. But keep your mind open to all suggestions by the people on here.
    [B][I][COLOR="Red"]There is no point trying if your afraid of losing[/COLOR][/I][/b]

Comment

thanks

Cheers Match Gaz, thanks for your thoughts on the matter, someone told me to leave a bit of slack in my elastic with the very first pole I bought so I'll stick to it

Comment

use an adjustable tensioner bung and alter according to the situation. So for example fishing in shallow water set it soft so the fish dont come to the surface and splash, or in deep water with heavy floats have it set tight so you can set the hook properly by striking throught the weight of the shotting.
        [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

another option

Thanks for the good advice, will certainly put it to use

Comment

Working...
          X