Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

FAO pole / soft paste addicts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO pole / soft paste addicts...

I've knocked up some in-line ( line through the bristle ) paste floats similar in design to the ones in my other thread, but a bit tidier as I made the bodies myself and used a small bead at the top of the bristle to make them easier on the eye for us older blind folk.

I have made another 4, I already have 2 knock-ups myself that are a bit rough, but I'll keep them as too embarrasing to pass on.

I won't be doing much more fishing this year myself, but I would like to see them tried out for opinions and improvements, if anyone one here fishes the sloppy, PM me your addy and I'll fire one gratis in the post your way, on the condition you let me know how you went on, good or bad!

Please don't request one if you don't fish paste or heavy baits on the pole, they won't be much use otherwise.

They are still drying, will post some pics tommorrow, but similar to the top one in this pic, basically the stem is tapered, and locks the float on the line just under the body:
    Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Here , I'll keep a couple myself, and if anyone wants one to have a bash with let me know and I'll pop one in the post. Not varnished, and unsure of weight but would guess about 0.7gr judging by other floats I have.
    Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

looking good luke, i've not fished paste before but might give it a go at some point, i'm just trying to get confident using my pole and understanding what to do and when but once i've got it sorted i'll give you a shout.
      i'm not lazy, just energy efficient.

Comment

one gone, any more paste test pilots?
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I will try one luke please,I use paste a lot and will give you a accurate report cheers mate

Comment

Good man, PM me your addy and I'll fire one in the post. cheers

Finish on them isn't perfect ( i forgot white undercoat on the bristle ) and they could be smoother, but it was the locking stem and lack of rubbers I was looking for. I find the paste flaots I buy need so many rubbers to stop them bending, it's a pain to make small adjustments, and most seem to break on me.
            Last edited by luke carpstalker; 29 August 2010, 07:15 PM.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

If you got any left luke could you send me one mate.? Got a few match's left and they are deffo paste venues..pm on way.cheers.

Comment

You are like busses you lot.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I tried one of these out today ( 3rd from left in pic ) and was really pleased with it. Didn't tame any beasts, but caught steady all day, mostly crucian up to 1 1/2lb, and I never seemed pick up the crucians before on my usual Dick Clegg paste floats I have been using.

I had a concern that under tension the body/bristle might separate from the bristle when the line is under stretch, but hauling a 4lb common sideways out from under a tree it stayed on no probs. Miles easier to make depth adjustments, than my usual setup, but this may be because I can never seem to find rubbers/tubing that grip enough without being too tight.

I was only going to dish out 2, but the last 2 requests I had were from lads that seemed really keen to try, so you have cleaned me out of all 4! I'll pack them up and post early this week.

Hope you get catching on them
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Superb looking floats, mate!

Call them "a bit rough" ???
                    Gordon Bennett, you should see some of my ham-fisted efforts! Still, the fish don't seem to mind an imperfect finish.

I can imagine them working very well in deeper water, say 6 or 8 feet at 9 metres. With my rubbish eyesight, they'd be a big help, so if you get to the point when you're making a few to sell, let us know, please.

For close-in work in shallower water, I've switched to using a dibber, fishing 4" overdepth. Avoids the infuriating twitches and line bites. And the float is either there, or it's gone!

Comment

What do you call shallow? Place I fish seems to be about 4ft everywhere, but I see the logic behind the overdepth fishing.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

PM mate

Comment

Posted out today, should be there tommorrow.

No refunds!
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by luke carpstalker View Post
                            What do you call shallow? Place I fish seems to be about 4ft everywhere, but I see the logic behind the overdepth fishing.
                            Normally 3ft or less, and usually in the near margins.

I guess it would work in the far margins as well, but I'm too idle to fish at more than 11 metres!

Comment

I think I have float-itis

Have had been playing with how to get a better finish, with some paints procured from the end of line shelf in the hardware shop, have also gone for a thicker bristle for my 10/10 vision.

snewbatch.jpg
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X