Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Home made hook lengths AAARRRRGH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made hook lengths AAARRRRGH

I've tried and tried but I just can't tie my own hook lengths, Ive used the matchman plus the drennan hook tyers and I'm useless!!! Poor whipping crinkeled line comming of the hook, etc etc I give up. But i be-grudge paying for pre tied packs mainly because if I can do it my self then I want to.
    Can you still get the pro tie or sensa hook tyers and how much are they?? and where do you get them from?? If this fails then I'll buy pre tied ones LOL

Stick with it mate it's not that difficult, just try to not have too much tension on the line whilst you finish the knot & don't forget to moisten the whipping.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

this might help.Hook Tyers and how to use them
      Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Cheers guys, will keep at it!

Comment

this is the easiest way to do it mate. get yourself a piece of 4 x 1 timber. in todays new money thats 100mm x 50mm. cut it into a piece about 10 inches long,then 14 and then 24. into the top of each piece,hammer in a lost head nail ,about a 25 mm one will do.then tie your overhand loop in one end of the line,and put this onto the nail head. then tie your hook as normal,and when you have finished,simply put the hook into the wood.use a set of line snips to cut of the loose ends. do this on the other lengths,and in no time you will have yourself as many hooklengths as you need.remember three things though. 1. use a good quality line. 2. use a good quality hook. 3. moisten all knots before you tighten. i hope this helps. and i use a matchman hook tyer for all my hooklengths.
          talk anglings villiage idiot:p

Comment

Have a look at the buffy hook tyers mate-half the price of the pro tie,and apparently very good. Or just use eyed hooks like I do ;-)
            Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
            Alwight tweacle?

Comment

I use the drennan one piece of pee to use!

Comment

What Stan said. Don't put to much tension on the turns and moisten well.
                On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Hook ties are a waste of money, time and affort.

It really is a case of practice makes perfect, Just try to tie them by hand and you'll get there eventually, make sure your hands have plently of grip, stick your hands under a cold tap if your doing them at home then dry them off, and always moisten the line.

With eyed hooks you'll bump alot of fish, And miss alot of bites because the line doesn't sit as it should for the hook to dig into the fishes lips. By learning how to tie spade ends you will expect to hook 10/10 fish or 9/10. with eyed hooks it will be 5/10 or 6/10. The presentation you will get will be better with spade end hooks, and the line sits true coming of the shank/spade. and you can use size 26 to size 2. more pattern choices if you learn to tie spade hooks.

Keep practicing mate. You'll get there!! :P And when you do get there, it will only take you 10-15 seconds to tie one by hand. at home or on the bank.

Comment

You can actually tie eyed hooks as if they are spade ends,which is what i allways do anyway,but only if i run out of proper spade end ones,keep pluggin away mate as said ,you will get better i promise you.

Comment

Buffy hook tyers are superb and he is on the forum aswell i believe i'll have a look in abit and dig out his number....
                      Once you sus out how to use it its great paul was spot on saying there pretty cheap i think 40quidish
                      and there miles better than the sensas... the protie is hard to come by as thats what i wanted origanly
                      but you need to know how to use the matchman tier for that....

Comment

Working...
                      X