Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Lets get rid of cormorants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets get rid of cormorants

If you think we should rid the UK of these birds please sign the petition at :

Cormorants in the UK should be culled and removed from schedule one protection.

Please email as many of your angling friends as you can as well and publish the petiton on your facebook page, twitter etc.

If we can get enough signatures (say 10,000+ then I will write to my local MP - Ed Milliband and also the Prime Minister and get some official replies - and perhaps action!)

Fight the fight!!!!
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

I can't see how you are going to get a bill through parliament to eradicate a native species.

The RSPB states there are 9,000 breeding pairs, and 24000 wintering individuals.

To put things in perspective, there are in the UK between 50 and 127 thousand pairs of our common duck the mallard, there are 40,000 breeding pairs of sparrowhawk ( how often do we see them? ), so your cormorant population is hardly sprialing out of control.

I can't help thinking your petetion is a little draconian, as the cormorants are eating into your investment. It's just like the fox population, numbers are directly proprtional to food supply through either urban sprawl, or intensive farming. You cant introduce a food source for nature, and then baulk when nature does it's thing by eating it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

i agree my mate owns a fishery and cormorants have turned up we fished a match there and so many of the bream now have big holes in there backs its a real shame for the bream
      [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

signed

Comment

signed
          [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

Think you may be barking up the wrong tree, but I have signed and wish you and all fishery owners good luck!

I remember when Billy Makin had a guy shooting his and was caught and taken to court, whereupon the shooter said under oath that he thought the birds were rabbits!, They were sat on the lake at the time!!
            Can't catch enough.....

Comment

the black death have been devastating natural venues for years, especially ones like those near me, near to an estuary where they find it easy to follow the water upstream. there can be easily a hundred spread up and down the river exe and exeter canal on any given day. setup a petition on the actual government site Introduction to e-petitions | Number10.gov.uk

Comment

Great show of conservation there lads. Let's wipe out pike, perch, eels......
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

I would have done it on the 'proper' e-petitions site but the new government has suspended the service (cutbacks I suppose!)

Without that available the only choice I have is to start my own petition. I promise you all now if we get enough signatures I will make a massive effort to get something done. Luke, yes I am a fishery owner and yes I have an adjenda and I am not shying away from my opinion - angling has got it tough enough at the moment and the fish stocks in the sea are being depleated - please tell me how these birds benefit nature?? They are top of the food chain with no predators, they are decimating rivers and lakes and I have to get up every day at 5am and spend three hours sitting by the lake to protect it from them. All I want is the legal right to shoot ANY of them that come on the ponds and also make it easy for anyone to get a licence - do you realise how difficult it is to actually get a licence and when you do you might get permission to shoot 6 birds a year which doesnt scratch the surface! I have put thousands of pounds of fish into my pond and I will be dammed if I am going to let them just eat them! Thats besides the damage to the natural rivers and lakes!

If you dont agree dont sign it, otherwise anyone else PLEASE email all other anglers and ask them to sign my petition.

The government say as part of the reasoning that they dont allow shooting of these birds that "They do not next inland".... thats complete rubbish!

Also look at the numbers of trees that are killed by these birds, have you seen what happens to the trees that they roost on!

Anyway. Please sign and tell your mates to sign!
                  Simon Young
                  Admin
                  Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                  web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

I see the pro's and con's Simon, and at least you are being honest about your motive.
                    Fair do's to anyone that supports it, but I will have to bow out. I've never had or seen a problem with cormorants when i've fished, and in fact, the issue was with a grebe (especially as it was catching bigger fish than me!).

Comment

Originally posted by luke carpstalker View Post
                      Great show of conservation there lads. Let's wipe out pike, perch, eels......
                      Freshwater prey fish have evolved with pike, perch etc. So a balance has been reached.

Cormorants inland are a relatively new phenomenon, so native fish haven't 'learned' how to cope, hence the devastation to fish stocks that cormorants cause.
                      Shoot 'em. They aren't an endangered species and don't belong inland.

Comment

It seems to me that the lack of fish in rivers has been blamed almost exclusively on cormorants, yet there are many, many natural processes that may also have contributed. The serious flooding we had in Worcestershire will have washed away at least one year class of young fish, leaving the river barren of much else but bigger fish - and they of course are always in the minority. Studies of the stomach contents of cormorants shot on rivers under licence showed that the majority were feeding on small fish such as minnow and bleak.. and eels. I know of river stretches where cormorants have been present in large numbers during winters over several years... now what are they eating? There must be enough food there!

I wouldn't support a cull unless I had every fact of every study in front of me and I think that is the problem - cormorants eat fish, so anglers think they should be killed even when they are not aware of the true facts. There is a lot of crap talked about these birds (not to mention pike, otters, etc) by those who know nowt about them, so make your decision on real facts.

I'm with Luke Carpstalker - a voice of sensible reason there mate and very well put.
                        [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

It's all very well being diplomatic and to be seen to be the voice of reason but it's not your fishery they are being freely allowed to ruin.
                          MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

The winter of 2008 I counted 50 cormorants flying off one of our match pools! I have shot several cormorants - we have a licence to shoot 8 per year. There are many licences in place and the last 2 years have seen more than 6000 birds shot legally (don't discount may illegally shot birds). It's not diplomacy, it's realism.

The numbers fluctuate each year - the vast number breed on the coasts of britain and europe (I am told that there are no known inalnd breeding colonies in britain and at Cob House we only see the odd bird in the summer, despite allegations that they breed inland just 6 miles away!!). Summer birds are immature birds and non-breeders. The vast majority of winter birds come from europe, where numbers have been declining for years, so if we shoot them here in huge numbers, the european population and therefore the species suffers, so a cull will never be allowed by the EU.
                            [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

signed it gladly; watched cormorants decimate the avon around me last winter when every stillwater was frozen. watching up to 20 birds working a small river was heartbreaking as fishing had only started to come back on this stretch ,used to do double figures of roach in the winter now only odd fish caught

Comment

Working...
                              X