Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Point me in the right direction! REELS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point me in the right direction! REELS

Looking for a reel mainly for medium to light feeder fishing. Don't want to spend more than £40. What spec should i be looking for, ratio's, number of ball bearings, drags etc. Also any make or models to avoid? Any ideas!

Shakespeare Mach 3 is a good reel for around £40,4 spools,loads of bearings,etc.I personally would get the front drag 035 version lovely little reel.

Comment

I'd always go for the best Shimano you can afford up to a maximum of about £80 and always the 4000 size for me. I prefer a slowish ratio of 5:1. I never use the drag so that doesn't bother me!

Comment

Simon p is selling a daiwa whisker 3012 for £42.50 posted,mate-ideal for light to medium feeder fishing. In the for sale section ;-)
        Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
        Alwight tweacle?

Comment

i use shimano aswell i picked up two gt4500's off ebay for £50 for the pair mainly for my carp fishing but i use them on my feeder rods now and they are great they have 3 ball bearings and baitrunner but if you look around then you can get them without the baitrunner for about £20 - £30

Comment

Buy that Whisker you wont go wrong.. Pellet wag or feeder

Comment

i have got some Shimano 5010 baitrunners for all my feeder and waggler work.. nice and small and not too heavy!! do the job with lines up to 8lb (even though i used them for carp fishing armed with 12 and 15lb line these do the job can pick them up dirt cheap off fleabay
              for all your carp fishing in the North West visit [url]www.northwestcarp.co.uk/forums[/url] :)

Comment

its strange isnt it, do have a shimano stradic GTM, but i much prefer my daiwa reels,
                my closest friend only uses shimano,s
                ive allways used daiwa reels ,not a lot to choose between the makes,,i think shimano are more expensive.
                its all down to what you like.

Comment

i got a daiwa 2503 cu (front drag),, a storming little reel that,, dont think you'll find one for 40lb though matey,,
                  i did get a shimano stradic 3000 fg (front drag)off ebay though matey,, with 2 spare spools and as new,, for £45 delivered,,,
                  as im sure others might agree,,,, thats a good reel too,,, cost around £130 to £140 in shops!!!!
                  id really advise you to go for a front drag mate,, as they are alot smoother than front drags,,
                  some people,, as nathan stated,, dont use drags,,, and its each to there own like,, but for the life of me i cant see how or why people prefer to backwind,,,
                  a drag acts instantly to a fish lunging,, and human reflex's just arent fast enough for me!!!!
                  :cool::cool:"LEAKY LLOYD",,,,"TURNING NO HOPERS INTO FLYERS"!:cool::cool::rolleyes::p

Comment

sorry,, go for a front drag rather than REAR,,,!LOL
                    ill blame the missus for that,, dragging me out to go shopping!!!!
                    :cool::cool:"LEAKY LLOYD",,,,"TURNING NO HOPERS INTO FLYERS"!:cool::cool::rolleyes::p

Comment

Originally posted by Leaky Lloyd View Post
                      i got a daiwa 2503 cu (front drag),, a storming little reel that,, dont think you'll find one for 40lb though matey,,
                      i did get a shimano stradic 3000 fg (front drag)off ebay though matey,, with 2 spare spools and as new,, for £45 delivered,,,
                      as im sure others might agree,,,, thats a good reel too,,, cost around £130 to £140 in shops!!!!
                      id really advise you to go for a front drag mate,, as they are alot smoother than front drags,,
                      some people,, as nathan stated,, dont use drags,,, and its each to there own like,, but for the life of me i cant see how or why people prefer to backwind,,,
                      a drag acts instantly to a fish lunging,, and human reflex's just arent fast enough for me!!!!
                      i must be lucky i bought a 2503cu mint condition off ebay for £22.50 posted and a 3003cu mint condition for £35.65 posted off the same bloke six weeks ago only bought them cause they were that cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Leaky Lloyd View Post
                        Fish can take line when you don't want them 2 with a drag! Mainly for kids, and girls!

Comment

Originally posted by NathanWatson View Post
                          Fish can take line when you don't want them 2 with a drag! Mainly for kids, and girls!
                          the problem being a bully it could cost you dearly under your feet unless you use sea hooks and bull rope like tommy says its better to get each fish in than hope for another bite

Comment

Could not use a drag if my life depended on it !!
                            Always tighten it as far as it goes & back wind !!
                            Colin

Comment

Reel MFr's should make reels with a knurled disc at the centre of the handle spindle, that way you can use a finger as a brake.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Working...
                              X