Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Pike fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pike fishing

Hello All.

I'm going to have a go at pike fishing this winter for the first time and was hoping you could give me some advice on how to handle them correctly. Also if anybody lives in the lancashire area and wouldn,t mind me tagging along, i would be very grateful.

Regards Shooter
    Last edited by shooter7shooter; 14 September 2010, 08:40 PM.

How are you going to attack them? Sitting on the bank for hours on end in the cold will soon lose you interest! I'd have a bash with some lures on the canal for a kickoff, this time of year is quite good for pike, they are still active enough to take an easy lure, yet it's not so cold that you get hypothermia!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Luke. Is pike fishing slow going then, a bit like specimen fishing. I was led to believe dead baiting was the best method. Is this method not suitable this time of year. I don,t mind sitting on the bank for hours on end, especially on my rive d36 seatbox with swivelling captains chair. Its just like sitting on my recliner watching catching the impossible at home on my 42 inch plasma.

regards stuart

Comment

I do a bit of this piking mullarkey when i need a break from matchfishing. I have found a slow retrieve dead bait best, let it sink to the bottom of the canal and twitch it back slowly. I use a 2 hook barbless treble set up on a soft wire trace and have caught em into high doubles.
        A roving approach i find is best. Lovely having the cut to yourself on a frosty morning and a flask of Bovril. Take some forceps and a gardening glove to unhook em, strike quickly and you shouldn't deep hook em. I land every fish as i don't like chinning them out, seems cruel to me.
        On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

How to handle pike, well, to start with don't be scared. The only way you will get hurt is if you do something wrong, a pike won't bite you or attack you. Handle the fish low to the ground, get used to holding the fish correctly to unhook.

As has been said don't leave it to long to strike as you will have a deep hooked fish. You don't really need a glove if you handle them properly, going home with raker rash is a good sign.

If you need to know anymore, ask hurricane, taught me pretty much what I know.
          Last edited by hurricane; 15 September 2010, 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
          [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/rover220coupeturbo/ta3.jpg[/IMG]

Effort = Success

Comment

Originally posted by Azz View Post
            How to handle pike, well, to start with don't be scared. The only way you will get hurt is if you do something wrong, a pike won't bite you or attack you. Handle the fish low to the ground, get used to holding the fish correctly to unhook.

As has been said don't leave it to long to strike as you will have a deep hooked fish. You don't really need a glove if you handle them properly, going home with raker rash is a god sign.

If you need to know anymore, ask hurricane, taught me pretty much what I know.
            Raker rash bloody hurts on a frosty morning Azz and on a serious note could leave you open to weils disease.
            On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

i prefer livebaiting so if allowed take a short pole with you to catch some lives
              the best man to give you advice is hurricane, but if he isnt around try mick brown he is second best

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
                Raker rash bloody hurts on a frosty morning Azz and on a serious note could leave you open to weils disease.
                Of course, but hopefully you have a little first aid box like i do that has anti sceptic spray in and some plasters

Effort = Success

Comment

Is Mick on this forum ? Is it THE Mick Brown the brummie bagging machine when it comes to Pike.

Comment

Originally posted by Azz View Post
                    Of course, but hopefully you have a little first aid box like i do that has anti sceptic spray in and some plasters
                    Nah. I just sterilise the wound with hot Bovril.

Comment

gloves? for girls.
                      Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
                        gloves? for girls.
                        Ha ! Bet you wouldn't be man enough to pour hot Bovril on a raker though would you Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
                          Ha ! Bet you wouldn't be man enough to pour hot Bovril on a raker though would you Pete.
                          Whiskey,does the job for me,taken orraly of course.
                          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Hot bovril lol.

Effort = Success

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Stupid question but how do you hold them when you put them back, are'nt you supposed to let them get their breath back like barbel.
                              saw a clip on youtube where someone was returning the pike when it turned round a nd bit a chunk out of his finger.

regards shooter

Comment

Working...
                              X