Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

cliping up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cliping up.

Hi all.
    when fishing the method clipped up, when you hit a big one and the clutch is screaming off and you cannot release the clip and you get snapped.
    question is , how is this avoidable.
    thanks.
    all the best steve.

Firstly I set the drag as tight as it will go so that don't happen! Normally you can hit and hold, especially against an island. If you really are struggling, just release the line from the clip, easy to do if you have the clip in the right place and I will have already counted my turns so can quickly get back to the same distance. Just make sure you have strong tackle on.

Comment

Hi
      cheers Nathan, i have heard about putting a stop knot on the line out of light elastic.
      the theory being, it should pull free from the clip, or is this just rubbish.
      tried to pull the line off the clip but, snap hooklink gone.
      thanks.
      all the best steve.
      Last edited by hurricane; 15 September 2010, 05:06 PM.

Comment

when we used to go to messingham sands on the island pond you had to clip up cause if you werent on the slope of the island you didnt get a bite.when we got a bite we used to put the rod from side to side several times and this used to confuse the carp and you could get a few turns on these fish and these fish run mental needed proper carp gear on 10lb line straight through

Comment

Hi Breamgod.
          i did get a few turns on the reel, thought i had it beat, but then it made a mad run, clutch on reel went like a good un.
          tried to unclip but to late hooklink gone.
          the lake had carp from 6oz to 30lb +.
          i must have hit one of the big un's.
          i had 8lb main line and 0.17mm hooklink, how can i prevent this happening again.
          all the best steve.

Comment

Originally posted by pudsli View Post
            Hi Breamgod.
            i did get a few turns on the reel, thought i had it beat, but then it made a mad run, clutch on reel went like a good un.
            tried to unclip but to late hooklink gone.
            the lake had carp from 6oz to 30lb +.
            i must have hit one of the big un's.
            i had 8lb main line and 0.17mm hooklink, how can i prevent this happening again.
            all the best steve.
            dont use hi tek lines for that sort of fishing will break on knot every time youll still get the bites 6lb maxcima wont snap like that

Comment

When you have found the range,tie a small stop knot a couple of inches from the reel.(i use powergum but some use pole elastic) clipped up make your cast to the island,put you rod in the rests and unclip,if you want to recast(not having had a fish)clip up reel in, rebait and cast back to the spot,set the rod and unclip,if you catch a fish you will then need to make a false cast,the stop knot will show you where you need to clip up,reel in,rebait and cast to the spot,set the rod and unclip,it souns complicated but its not and it involves a false cast after every fish,but it means you can hit the spot and if a big fish arrives you can give as much line as you need.
              Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

I never clip up in open water, especially when big fish are present. What I do to ensure accuracy is once I've found the distance I'm fishing at I tie a sliding knot between reel and 1st ring. When you cast out you will hear the knot going through the rings. Then immediately put your finger on spool stopping the line coming off. Within a couple of throws doing this you'll be surprised how accurate it is. I stop it usually about 2/3rds the way up the rod rings, the knot being very easy to spot.
                Any fast running fish can now do what they want with the clutch set right. Make sure you leave at least 3cm lengths of line on both tag ends of the knot. That way it goes through the rings smoothly.

Comment

10lb proper gear, I use 15lb main and 12lb hook length and still get bossed by the big uns

Comment

Step up to 0.22 on the method, maybe stronger for snaggy swims but you won't be lettingh fish run then asnyway! As for releasing the clip, point the rod at the fish annd release it, that gives you more time and tighten up that drag, they are a pain in the bottom!

Comment

You are not a big fan of drag by the sounds of it nathan,do you ever use the drag or do you always backwind,i myself like to use the drag.

Do you not loose a lot of fish backwinding more so when the fish goes on a run i find the drag compansates for that were i would have thought you get more hook pulls on backwinding

Comment

No, never use a drag and don't loose many on the rod atall.

Comment

cut a strip of bike inner tube to just less than the depth of your reel spool,cast to where you want to fish,then place the inner tube over the remaining line on your spool,reel back in and cast to your spot.the inner tube then acts as a brake.if a big fish hits you,it should take line from under the tube.worth a try?
                          regards 2TS
                          ANGLING ATHLETE, CARLSBERG TETLEY AC.

Comment

Hurricane is spot on with his answer

Comment

i'm with 2ts, i use bike inner tube dead simple & it works.
                              please let me draw a flyer

Comment

Working...
                              X