Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

If perch are predators...Then why do they have bright red fins in clear water rivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If perch are predators...Then why do they have bright red fins in clear water rivers?

as the title says...i just dont understand why they would have bright red fins in clear rivers when they are camouflaged except for their fins.

It makes no sence (to me anyways)

the most vivid colours i have ever seen which i caught today

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
    Perch-3lb
    Tench-5 1/2lb
    Carp-15lb
    Barbel-10 1/2lb
    Chub 5 1/4lb
    Roach 1 1/2lb
    Rudd 2lb
    Bream 6 1/2lb

Colours we see out of water are not neccessarily what fish see underwater.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Looks pretty dark from above though

Comment

i know that red is one of the first colours of the absorption to disappear underwater, buts thats usualy around 5m-10m deep.....in rivers that are 3ft max you can see their fins easily...but when i was fishing the shannon 40ft deep perch were very dark as were their fins. I know that could be due to their diet/environment. i just found it odd
        Last edited by Reynolds2k7; 21 September 2010, 10:59 AM.
        Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
        Perch-3lb
        Tench-5 1/2lb
        Carp-15lb
        Barbel-10 1/2lb
        Chub 5 1/4lb
        Roach 1 1/2lb
        Rudd 2lb
        Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

I dont think a perch's red fins would frighten small roach & rudd (prey fish) on the contary, it could fool them into thinking its another shoal member!

Comment

Iv just realised how the title sounds and i do know that they are predators just to clarify....and i see what you mean but its just kind of weird how they are quite well camouflaged except for their fins
            Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
            Perch-3lb
            Tench-5 1/2lb
            Carp-15lb
            Barbel-10 1/2lb
            Chub 5 1/4lb
            Roach 1 1/2lb
            Rudd 2lb
            Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

i think it has something to do with communication, as with roach and rudd too apparently. don't quote me but i seem to remember hearing/reading this somehwere.
              i'm not lazy, just energy efficient.

Comment

My thinking behind this.... is, the red fins may act as a lure???? possaibly to other fish, easy pickings for the perch then???? my theroy any way
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                X