Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Braid or line?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braid or line?????

forgive me if this is an obvious question, but waht are the benifits of using braid instead of line... and would it be recomended for feeder fishing or is it something just carp anglers use? and do colours make that much difference when fishing on ponds/ lakes??... cheers mark
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mark,

Braid has zero stretch in it and pound for pound is miles thinner than line, e.g. 0.08 braid might be 10lb and 0.08 line would be 1.5lb..... the big advantage of using braid is the casting ability, with it being much thinner it cuts through the air alot better and therefore you can cast alot further and more accurately. Another advantage of braid is that if you tie a 2oz bomb on the end and cast it out using braid you can feel what the bottom is like where you are casting which helps identify features such as gravel bars and silty patches etc... The problem with braid is also that it doesnt have any stretch so if you are playing a fish on braid straight through you have more chance of pulling the hook, that is why I use a shock leader of 8lb Shimano Technium so that once a big fish is under the rod tip I am playing it on mono and not braid. Give it a go chap as it is definately a weapon you should have in your armory (if the fishery allows it, as alot don't).... but in my opinion for bream and skimmer fishing on the feeder it cannot be beaten as with the zero stretch you see loads more bites than you do with mono.

One last tip, when fishing with braid on the feeder you DONT need to strike, you need to pick up the rod and just pull round gently as if you strike like you do with mono you will bump fish.
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

thanks for that simon..... but do you know the reason why some fisherys dont allow it?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

dyna cable braid 13lbs brill,

Comment

I'm thinking of probably 8lb or poss 10lb as a main?
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The problem with braid is its so strong that fish cant break it and if you get a fish snagged up on it then its had it! Plus if someone snags up on braid then breaks off you get up with a permanent snag that loads of people keep getting caught up on.
            Simon Young
            Admin

Comment

By the way alot of braids don't sink very easily which is a problem when feeder fishing, basically the older the braid is the better it is for fishing (I have some on reels that is more than 5 years old and it sinks perfect).... the way to treat new braid is to get some LEAD PUTTY and when you wind the braid onto the reel run it through the putty before it goes on the reel - that will make it 100 times better!
              Simon Young
              Admin

Comment

So would I be better off buying a top quality line or a braid?
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

For feeder fishing i would just reccomend high quality line mate
                  [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
                  [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
                  [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
                  [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

If carp mono braid for skimmers, with a mono leader I like a 5lb Maxima leader.
                    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

any suggestions for a top quality 8lb line?
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Preston Direct mono is very good, as this has very little stretch in it. Or good old maxima for reliability
                        Starbeck Angling Club

[url]http://steveluptonfishing.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Prologic XLNT braid is good quality, admitedly i have only use that for lure fishing but for handling and strength it was brilliant.
                          Its discontinued now so its hard to find but i imagine it is just as good for feeder fishing.

Tip on buying braids;

Do not buy one with a polymer coating on it (it feathers very quickly once the polymer wears off and is thicker)

Do not buy braid with an linear core (hard to describe why but trust me)

The two best types to buy are either 100% Spectra or 100% Dyneema

And finaly, you get what you pay for, Buy cheap you get cheap (most of the time)
                          Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                          Perch-3lb
                          Tench-5 1/2lb
                          Carp-15lb
                          Barbel-10 1/2lb
                          Chub 5 1/4lb
                          Roach 1 1/2lb
                          Rudd 2lb
                          Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

I use braid for all my river feeder fishing with a minimum 12 feet 8lb mono leader. As Simon says it casts superbly. Also it doesn't deteriorate like mono & with zero stretch bite detection is improved.

Comment

Avon Angler... Just out of intrest, why do youse a mono leader? My father uses one but i have never really seen the point. I know braid has the lowest abrasion resistance of all lines and so it helps for that, but i have never had a problem with it straight through (12lb braid) it just creates a small knot that impedes the casting slightly IMO.
                              Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                              Perch-3lb
                              Tench-5 1/2lb
                              Carp-15lb
                              Barbel-10 1/2lb
                              Chub 5 1/4lb
                              Roach 1 1/2lb
                              Rudd 2lb
                              Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Working...