Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Feeder woes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeder woes..

Tas been a tad on the windy side today,so made a decision to fish the cage feeder which i very rarely do,now the advice i had off a mate was to use brown crumb gb with micro pellets all mixed up into a mosh,with a 4 inch long HL using a 14 hook with double maggot for bait(live),failed miserably coud'nt gauge the bites correctly so lost loads of bream and carp..btw was using a medium feeder rod with a soft tip,okuma reel with rear drag flicked on,How would any off you lads have tackled this..Teach me the fundamentals of Feeder Fishing

Originally posted by Mickangler View Post
    Tas been a tad on the windy side today,so made a decision to fish the cage feeder which i very rarely do,now the advice i had off a mate was to use brown crumb gb with micro pellets all mixed up into a mosh,with a 4 inch long HL using a 14 hook with double maggot for bait(live),failed miserably coud'nt gauge the bites correctly so lost loads of bream and carp..btw was using a medium feeder rod with a soft tip,okuma reel with rear drag flicked on,How would any off you lads have tackled this..Teach me the fundamentals of Feeder Fishing
    the only difference i would do is fish a hook length of 12-18ins cause if the fish are coming to the feeder and grazing over the pellet you dont know how many were foulhooked fish a hooklength of 4ins on a method when you bury the hook in the ground bait

Comment

I thought you fished that type of feeder with a longer hooklength, say 2ft, then let it settle and disperse, then wind in 2ft to place the hookbait over the GB?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

You could always try lowering the rod to "almost" water level

Comment

Double maggot on a 14? in my (humble) opinion, that hook is way to big for double maggot....

Comment

HHHmmmm all sorts of things wrong with your setup.

If its windy on a commy why not fish 'THE METHOD' with pellets round the feeder, in line are not banned anywhere?!?

if i was fishing groundbait i would wet it and fluff it so it crumbles when rubbed, you can still add the micros, as i do for bream and fish a longer hooklength, if breaming as much as 3ft... dont pull the bait into it as you might hook a leaf. just go on the theory that given X amount of casts you are creating a bed of bait and a shoal of carp or bream will move through it and pick off the hook bait.

if you were getting bites on a 14 so be it, i'd tend to start on an 18 and go bigger if needed during the day

Comment

Originally posted by richierich2347 View Post
              HHHmmmm all sorts of things wrong with your setup.

If its windy on a commy why not fish 'THE METHOD' with pellets round the feeder, in line are not banned anywhere?!?

if i was fishing groundbait i would wet it and fluff it so it crumbles when rubbed, you can still add the micros, as i do for bream and fish a longer hooklength, if breaming as much as 3ft... dont pull the bait into it as you might hook a leaf. just go on the theory that given X amount of casts you are creating a bed of bait and a shoal of carp or bream will move through it and pick off the hook bait.

if you were getting bites on a 14 so be it, i'd tend to start on an 18 and go bigger if needed during the day
              Banned at plenty of places!

Comment

If you say you lost alot of fish then it sounds like the feeding was half way right as they were coming in your peg.

Two things here... you were probably foul hooking fish, as others have suggested a slightly longer hooklength is needed, but the main problem is probably you are striking at liners and not waiting for the proper bites - I would suggest waiting for more of a proper pull round than just taps or flicks....
                Simon Young
                Admin
                Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Cant use in line feeders @ many venues around this area Rich.
                  Very few in fact .
                  Colin

Comment

i do mean the feeder that runs up your line (line goes through it) ... shouldnt be banned anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by richierich2347 View Post
                      i do mean the feeder that runs up your line (line goes through it) ... shouldnt be banned anywhere
                      I know, so do I!

Comment

It shouldnt but it IS.
                        Colin

Comment

Nath, Cudmore allows it, method goes better there the day after a big match aswell?!

Comment

So I've heard! Didn't bother setting it up on Suez canal Saturday on my 10M wide peg!

Comment

Cudmore allow the method dont they??
                              Tommy and Nathan both fished it all day @ Fish o mania
                              But they are 1 of the few that do allow it
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X