Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

lost rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost rigs

today went to my local club waters to fish for perch and roach and hoping to catch the odd bream and maybe a bigger perch or tench. this pool is very hard to fish and has a low catch rate most of the time and not a lot of bigger fish are caught regularly in one session. fished chopped worm and caster over hemp about 12 inches away from a big reedbed with a 14 elastic and o.17 mainlne with an 0.14 hooklength and a fox series 2 size 18 barbed hook .nothing for about 20 mins, then a slow run and a jack pike about 1 1/2 Lb which bit my line off just as i was about to net it. new hook length then a little perch followed by one a bit bigger. the next bite was quite slow and as i lifted i thought i had a 2 x 2 slab as it went to the right and then slowly sailed off down the reed bed so i dropped the pole tip under the water and waited for the hooklength to snap, the next ran into the reeds and snap again so i upped my hooklength to 0.16 next one broke and the next, so i upped my rig to 0.22 and got my 1st one in at 8LB at the end of the day a must have hooked at least 15 carp a few roach and perch and a bream of 2 1/2 LB used a packet of hooks and lost 3 complete rigs of 0.22 and 3 hookpulls i landed just the 3 of the carp at 8, 11 and 13 LB. i dont think anyone has ever hooked that many carp on that pool in one session, even though i didnt land many of the big ones it was a cracking day

going back to the same peg with 0.21 powerline and a 16 solid vespe elastic set tight, im surprised to find they no longer do 18 elastic that the next one from 16 is now 22 in solid

Comment

haha could tame a shark with that setup

Comment

hooked 2 carp today 1 on my silver tackle and 1 on the heavier gear, got broke on the 1st 1 and hook pulled on the 2nd, elastic too tight, never mind had a 15 1/2 Lb pike on the pike rod

Comment

Cant go wrong there then can ya
          have you tried black hydro?
          [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
          [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
          [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
          [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

Where do you normally fish as I am not far from you and fish the canal by caggy's boat yard.
            What club you in as my son was interested in a local one, sounds like you had a good day.

Comment

they would take black hydro for fun into lillys if they sound as big as they are.

Comment

Set the elastic tight, But you still want a bit of play, you dont want to get them away from the lilly pads or reed bed and then bump them because the elastic has no give.

Rather than striking up or to the side, Ship the pole backwards as quickly as you can, your stricking into the fish, but getting it away from the object it's trying to get into. I always stike backwards when fishing the far bank of the canal, Otherwise i might aswell say goodbye to my rig, hooklength or fish. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick120 View Post
                  Where do you normally fish as I am not far from you and fish the canal by caggy's boat yard.
                  What club you in as my son was interested in a local one, sounds like you had a good day.
                  i fish caggys until the 6 week holidays. the pool is near himley, it is very hard so be prepared to blank. i started this post because it was one of those 'one off days' that only happen once a year, if you do want to try it you can buy day tickets from dudley bait and tackle, straits road, lower gornal or beddows in wombourne, tickets have to be purchased before fishing, no tickets sold on the bank and 1 rod per person, if you do try it, best of luck, there are some decent fish there but they are very hard to catch.

Comment

What's the name of the pool? I didnt realised there was another by Himley , was thinking of trying Baggeridge/Island Pool at Himley ( not sure what its called) run by Womborne Mount Pleasant AC, saw the Chairman pull out a 15lb Carp when we were having a look. Fished the Vine yards further on but dont know iof where you were. Caggy's seems to vary so much some days great others very little, plus having 3 matches a week is having an effect. One off days make it worthwhile, you just have to go back for another go, me and my son pulled over 20lb of Tench out the one evening (past the bridge by Caggy's) in the summer just mucking about, since we've been lucky to see a Tench, only seem to get small roach and Perch.

Comment

its the island pool i fish, its very hard most of the time but sometimes you can do well, i find it better to fish for the silvers and anything else is a bonus, there are some nice bream in there but you need to get them into the swim, most fish at 9 mtrs but i fish to the left about 5 mtrs as well, worm and caster. there is another pool further up the track that WMPAC also control called the spring pool, full of silvers and occasionally some bonus fish, bread punch and casters and maggotts do well. tickets from dudley bait and tackle £4 in advance, 1 rod, parking on himley hall but you can drive to the back of the hall and park just outside baggeridge, i think himley charge about £1.20 to park.
                      i think there is a pool a bit further as you are going to swindon called sandyacres, never fished it so cant tell you anything about it. the canal at swindon fishes well for chub, i think it is BAA waters.
                      i had 42LB of tench from caggys in may from peg 20

Comment

Working...
                      X