Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Loosing fish on the pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loosing fish on the pole

Im fed up with hooking into carp and loosing them, mainly due to them shooting off. I use the maver 14 latex set just so it slides into the top kit. ive tried tightening it but it dosent seem to work, Any ideas...? I was thinking of hydro maybe. I also wanted to ask when a fish starts to move either left or right should i follow it with the pole or wait for it to come back?

Whats the average stamp of fish you are catching/hooking, I usually reckon that a fish that shoots of is either a big fish or foul hooked, and will tend to follow the fish until I am sure its properly hooked once happy with the hook hold I will let the laccy do its job and for sure the fish will eventually turn and start to come back, I like to keep the pole as low as is possible and even shove it into the water this adds a bit of additional pressure and acts like a brake. What hook and what sizes are you using as some hooks in the bigger sizes do tend to spring open giving the fish more chance to slip the hook.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

You may find they are foul hooked

Comment

what you want is a light elastic with a pulla bung on.when the fish goes left pull right if it pulls left pull right if ye get me hope this helps

Comment

If you try to pull a fish one way it will swim the opposite way !!
          That is not the Best way to use a Pulla Bung !! & its Not what they are for !1
          It amazes me that loads of people reccomend their use & Dont know how to use the Things !!
          I agree in the right hands used correctly they can be an asset
          But in the hands of anyone that doesnt understand how to use them ,they can cause all sorts of Damage to Fish .
          As i have said hundreds of times ,This is only my opinion !!
          Colin

Comment

whilst i agree with col to a certain extent i cannot understand why people fish with unsuitable elastics ,time and time again i see anglers try to land large fish on white hydro and such surely this is not right having to land them on their top 5 or six
            nige cooke

Comment

Nige
              i agree 100% if your tackle is Balanced with the correct Elastics /line /hooks !!
              Mine is , i see no need for Pulla bungs or silly undergunned rigs !!
              I land all my fish on the Top 2 while sat on my box !! no matter what size
              Very rare i lose anything to be honest !!
              Could do with catching a few more @ moment
              If people learned to use their equipment correctly they would benefit from it
              Gimmicks are not the be all & end all of Good Angling
              Colin

Comment

One other thing that is crucial and perhaps more important than the elastic is the hook! You must match your hook / elastic / line strength ... thats what people mean when they use the phrase 'balanced tackle'..... so my questions would be - what size of fish, are there any snags and what hooks and line are you using at the moment?
                Simon Young
                Admin
                Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Have to agree it sounds like you've been foul hooking fish. If your elastic is to strong and not matched to the fish you are catching (and hook) then you'll pull out of fish under normal pressure often at the net (yeh I learned that!). If your elastic is to soft for the fish then you'll soon know as you'll be trying to land fish on a telegraph pole. Try to take a mental note of how a carp fights when you've landed one hooked in the mouth, and then see the difference of one trying to beat the speed of sound as it's been hooked up the jacksie! If your getting foulers it is time to change things around and work out how to hook them in the gob which is the fun part.

Comment

how do u balance a 18 elastic to a line and hook

Comment

The balance is not just of line, hook and elastic, it is the balance of these 3 elements to the size of fish you are going to catch and the type of swim you have.
                      I personally would only use 18 elastic for carp in very snaggy pegs where you have to hit an hold. If that were the case then I'd be looking at using minimum 0.18 line and a strong hook (type dependent on bait).

Comment

Working...
                      X