Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Plumbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing

I know this may have been covered a few times, in fact I have had a quick search, but I thought I'd ask opinions and maybe what I have in mind will also be of help.

As I'm new back to fishing and still learning stuff, I thought how is the best way to plumb when using the pole. OK firstly ask others and hope they know/care/want to help, next up guess a depth, grab a rig and start plumbing and go from there.

Now my idea and what I do is; I have a couple of lines with pre tied plumb weights (1x6' and 1x 10'), every 6" is a tied loop with a small length of different coloured pole elastic so I can see them. Then using the line and weight I lower into the swim until its on the bottom, then slowly lift till I feel the change when the weight lifts off the bottom, then I count loops from the tip to the water. This may not be perfect but it does get me as close as I'm possible without starting to shift floats around the place, also allows me to check loads of spots/lines without constant shipping in and out.
    Baits designed and proven to catch fish, not anglers

[URL]http://www.miraclebaits.com/[/URL]

wtf??

Comment

Hi Shooter.
      that seems like hard work.
      i am sure most people when plumbing up on the pole, just put on float of choice,add plumet to hook ship out to where you want to fish, move float to desired depth.
      job done.
      if to much line from pole tip to float, just cut and re tie.
      or if you only fish certain venues you will have rigs already made to that depth.
      all the best steve.

Comment

Shooter50....Let me be the first to congratulate you on creating the most complicated method for plumbing a swim.....Just connect a rig to your pole....Put plumb on hook...and ship out....if float goes under, slide it towards the pole tip....if float lies flat or above water....slide towards hook...simples

Comment

I think what shooter is trying to acchieve is a quick method to map out the depth across the whole swim for a quick visual reference, which to be fair to him his method will do, if not a bit long winded.

It would be no use to me as where I fish is pretty uniform in depth, and I tend to choose a spot based on features around it as opposed to a particular depth.

Shooter, assuming you are just quickly trying to find high or low spots, you could do a similar thing with a float, just ensure the float is about a foot overdepth from what you are calling the average, offer it around the swim, and guage how much line is between the base of the float stem and water. it's easy to guage distance from 10metres away when you are only working around a foot or so, not so easy when you are trying to guage a distance of say 3-4ft.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

LOL, I like the wtf maybe some think its long winded I'm not sure how but hey ho each to their own, at least my way with alternating loops with yellow and black elastic (black every 12", yellow every 6") all I need to do is count the distance from the tip, and I learnt to do that quickly at school years ago . Yep if you know the depth and its constant you can use a rig thats about the right depth and add a plummet and go from there. BUT what if you have never been there, don't know the depth? want to know as said the under terrain etc, I can use one line and map it out fairly quickly, then fit the rig with the closest depth to what I want to do.

I proved this for myself today, new lake locals said depth between 4 and 5' but I checked it my way right from 1m to 12.5m, depth ranged from 3' to 6' and at 8.5m there was a trough at 7', everyone around me blanked however I managed to fish in this dip and took 8 commons to 6lbs, 4 mirrors inc a 14.7lbs and some roach. 5mins work and £30 in the pocket seems like it works for me

Comment

your making very hard work to something thats so simple never heard or seen anything like that in my life must look like mackerel feathers all the coloured elastic lol

Comment

completely lost me at the yellow elastic lol
                nige cooke

Comment

Originally posted by breamgod View Post
                  your making very hard work to something thats so simple never heard or seen anything like that in my life must look like mackerel feathers all the coloured elastic lol
                  LOL, maybe but sorry it works for me, at least for now. Loops are about 1/2" long and less than a 1/4" tags on elastics

Guess I must be real dumb as I cant see how its hard work, your method attach float and line, ship out guesstimate distance from float to water, ship back move float then hope its right, or my long winded method, attach plumb line ship out and count, ship in and attach appropriate float setup set to known depth and fish. OK put that way its longer winded but its seconds and I know the depth to within 6" all over my chosen line. There again I guess I'm an odd ball as I have float rigs made up (groups with same floats) but 6" different length lines as so many have said ideally I need to have 8-12" from pole tip to float.

Anyway enough of this, we can all agree to disagree, just thought I'd say what I have started doing, there IS no right or wrong way to do something, its all about what works for each individual, well in my mind anyway

Comment

what happens if its only 4ft deep and youve got a 10ft piece of line on the plummet will be anywhere

Comment

what happens if its only 4ft deep and youve got a 10ft piece of line on the plummet will be anywhere
                      Read my first post, I said I have a 6' and 10' plumb line, I use the 6 mainly for margins but it works a treat where its shallow, and how long does it take to swap a line on a pole? same can be said when plumbing with a float setup thats useable for 7 or 8'

Comment

if it works for you mate keep doing it i get the jist of what your saying you can work out more than one depth by putting in one line then put the right rigs on to plum up again.
                        dont get me wrong it nots something i would do but like i say keep doing it if it works for you

Comment

do you have marks on yer pole too i know you count the loops but how do you still know the depth when you take line off go into yer box select a rig put it on then what if your fishing pellet and put it 4" over youll get either no bites or foul hook them

Comment

shooter550, stick with it m8, bordering on genius methinks
                            heaven wont have me
                            and hells afraid i'll take over

Comment

do you have marks on yer pole too i know you count the loops but how do you still know the depth when you take line off go into yer box select a rig put it on then what if your fishing pellet and put it 4" over youll get either no bites or foul hook them
                              I have 3 elastic bands that I move as needed for depths, although when picking a rig I know depth plus about 12" to tip and all my rigs are marked in depths so as long as I know the depth I know what rig length I need, bands are for fine tuning or for if I need to change to a different length rig. I also measure the bands from the hook clipped on the end of the section (normally #3) and mark towards the tip, band goes to the bottom of the bristle.

Comment

Working...
                              X