Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Severn at shrewsbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn at shrewsbury

Is it really as bad as they say?

what do they say?

Comment

Sadly sounds a grueller last weekend...........

Match Fishing - News - Shrewsbury River Classic 2010
      Last edited by tk; 4 November 2010, 11:24 PM.
      Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

Hi BOTTSKI yes it is at the mo my mate finished 2nd on one of the qualifiers to the classic and it was hard work. I have fished it several times already and it was crap bar 1 time. I cant see it getting any better sadly. Its bank high at mo so see what extra water brings need some cold weather as well but im not building my hopes up of it changing much, the birds have raped it.

Comment

kill them all

Comment

Originally posted by Frisky Fish View Post
            kill them all
            eh?
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

why is nothing being done to control the number of cormorants and goosanders fishing this area.is it because its near a town centre?

Comment

I agree with u frisky there is said to be between 20 and 30 corrmorants very early morning getting breakfast at the bottom of the match length. The gooseanders are not there yet but i have been told they are on a section lower down at mo, they are waiting for the roach to turn up then they will stay for dinner and tea. Someone i know counted something between 70 & 80 gooseanders on the Shrewsbury length last year so how much are they eating between that lot. Even the pike anglers are not getting takes as they have gone as there is no prey for them.

Comment

It's really is sad how it's gone-I fished the last but one classic match, blanked along with most of my 14 peg section that was won with 2lb followed by 9oz & 8oz. After 3 flush throughs and several frosts if there were any dace ready to move in for the winter they'd be there now, so looks like the birds have raped the surrounding stretches too. I feel most sorry for the organisers who have clearly put a lot of time into organising the classic, arranging sponsors etc. We can only hope that some where down the line there will be a recovery, preferably accompanied by the comorant equivelant of mixamatosis.
                  The good news is that the plague hasn't affected other rivers as bad yet, as the Wye at Belmont is stuffed with tiny dace to go with all the big ones at the moment, and lower down the severn at Stourport there's plenty of fish beginning to show. Funny thing is that Belmont has had goosanders for a while now, yet its going from strength to strength, yet Shrewsbury's been decimated in little more that a year. I know the wye is a bigger river but let's not forget that only 2 years ago shrewsbury was producing 30lb bags of dace, so maybe there are other factors?

Comment

Was there not a massive sewage spill into the severn quite recently?
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Working...
                    X