Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Question - Pole float winders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Pole float winders

Question for those who make up their own winder rigs; what way do you approach the storage in your box trays? Do you arrange them by float type, ie size/weight; or is it by line size/weight; or as one guy told me he stores his in order by venue. There are other ways - but what way do you store yours?

Just asking

Keep them in order of float type and shotting capacity.
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

I keep them in order of float size-having several of the same size float on different diameter lines and hook sizes. Try to stick to just a few tried and trusted float patterns,otherwise it just complicates things,in my opinion,mate.
      Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
      Alwight tweacle?

Comment

I keep 1 in the front draw 1 in the xdraw
        & most of my others 100s have ended up in a bloody bucket in my Bait Bag !!!
        Keep promising myself i am going to tidy it all
        But it only ever lasts about 3 or 4 matches (1 week) & its back to normal
        Colin

Comment

Type and size[weight capacity] together and as i fish lots of different waters, DEPTH .........I have them from top 5s down to margin or up in the water depth all kept in draws.
          Hook length i can change at any time!

Comment

Type and weight capacity going upwards. I have a tray of slims on Rive Brown winders so can get 2 on each winder, A tray of Bodied floats and a tray of floats for whip fishing. Its all i use. No need to make it difficlut with all different shapes. I also carry a couple of spares of each float, silicon and olivettes in Trabucco boxes in a deep tray. I always make my rig length longer than i will need and adjust them to suit depth.

Comment

i go smallest toi bigest

Comment

Question - pole float winders

Depth usually

Comment

i just use the pretty color method........
                  In darkness we do what we can
                  In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                    I keep 1 in the front draw 1 in the xdraw
                    & most of my others 100s have ended up in a bloody bucket in my Bait Bag !!!
                    Keep promising myself i am going to tidy it all
                    But it only ever lasts about 3 or 4 matches (1 week) & its back to normal
                    Mine are same, 3 trays of empty winders and rigs I hardly use and all my faves in an ice cream tub in base of my box, most on old flat Preston elastic winders!

Comment

I would love to have the time to pre tie loads of different rigs however truth be known - if i have a match on the Sunday, i will check the weather on the Friday evening and then choose a float type to suit the venue and weather in question. i will decide if im gonna go shallow or on the deck or against an island etc and simply tie 2 rigs to cover each line. If not exactly sure of the depth, i will leave them long and trim to suit on the bank. I will have alternative hooklengths just in case its harder than i anticipated of if i want to change up to a bigger hook.
                      To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

I asked because I stored by float type and weight, followed by weight/size of line. Then I changed the order to size ie breaking strain, of line and followed by the order of float type/weight. This was because my first thoughts on the bank were what size of float do I need to fish this peg followed by what breaking strain of line. Then I changed the thought process and started to think what breaking strain of line do I need for this peg, followed by what type/size of float do I need. Only time will tell which is the best for me - but Hey ho as long as I keep catching that is what counts - or is it the Players packet! double LOL!
                        You've probably gathered I am an organiser nut of some degree where most of my fishing is done at home and the decisions are made on the bank. LOL

Comment

as i've only got the one tray and all the floats are different they aren't in any particular order, i just look at my peg and prevailing conditions and choose to suit.
                          i'm not lazy, just energy efficient.

Comment

I have a couple of drawers in my box for winders they start off in good fashion all neatly arranged in order, after a week or if I'm lucky a bit longer.
                            Then total chaos with no assistance from me takes over. I also have two ice cream tubs stuffed with rigs in my tackle room that never see the light of day.
                            What I do do is to take the hook link off every rig after use & retie a new loop & never have hooks on my winders.
                            I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                            He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Working...
                            X