Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

"Survival" hook size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Survival" hook size

As I'm new to fishing; I would some advice regarding hook sizes. I'm into wild camping and would like to add some hook to nylons in my survival tin, however I need advice as to which size I should put in tin, (which is small, size of a tobacco tin). I only want one size which would allow me to catch fish of varying sizes, to eat if I should be in a survival situation. Obviously I would not know what type of water I would fishing, in my hypothetical survival situation. What size hook would give me the greatest flexibility in UK waters. Should i stick with barbless, or get barbed for this scenario?

Thanks

Andy

you mean for poaching or will you have a rod licence in your tin,about a size 10 barbed .

Comment

My intention was nothing to do with poaching, i do have an environment agency rod licence, and member of my local fishing club, i certainly would not take fish for the sake of it. My question however very hypothetical and a "what if" situation should you be in a position somewhere in the world where you need to eat to survive, and all you could take with you was a piece of fishing line and one size of hook.

My intention was nothing illegal, and had not considered the "poaching" aspect of my question, just being a good scout and always being prepared. Thanks for your repsonse.

Comment

I think u should have different sizes all barbed! Why barbed well in some situations u may nead to leave lines in for sometime i presume if they were barbless the fish would just unhook ........and u may die lol !!
        Ok ur dealing with limeted space but a few hooks in a few sizes will no way take up to much i think.. But if it HAD to be one then something around a 18/16 Barbed!!

Comment

i would go a 14/16 barbed, good alround with a bit of strength
          [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
          [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
          [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
          [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

As I am in the military i also have the tin of life. in mine I have a pack of 8 and 14 eyed barbed that's 20 hooks in all an in the packets they don't take any room up more importantly is the line strength and length I have gone for the newer line such as jurasic on 0.20 thats about 7lb as for length I have about 20ft wrapped round a peg u only need to use a short length at a time about 3ft as u tie this to your para cord that u shud carry, don't forget a few weights but you can use small stones for this hope this helps mate.
            [CENTER][SIZE=7][B][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue][I][I]Bg Floats[/I][/I][/COLOR] [/COLOR][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=#0000FF]hand made floats [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
            [CENTER][B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#FF0000]They [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Stand the Test of Time - [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=4]Contact:[/SIZE] [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X