Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

14-18 elastic to what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14-18 elastic to what?

hi all, ok, a 12.5 meter carp pole, avanti 14-18's elastic(top 2 power kit), i was thinking 8lb mainline to 6lb or 5lb hook legnth, maybe even braid as the hook length, wos think?

next is 'sheeeesh' line diameters? what on earth is going on lol... i've found this list, yet even some braids come up well thick against it, is it real?

Line breaking strain guide

any advice? my last pole fishing larks were all in lbs breaking strain and weights beyond a ten was just a fantacy...the pole held well in the wind, then again it weighed enough at 10 meter!.

its for up to 20lb carp, thats an outside chance, 10-15's plus a few about, plenty 2-5lb'ers.. and a shed load of anoying, but nice, gober sized carp lol.(suspecting crutians to 3-4 lb..but only a hunch by looking about).

For big carp i dont use hooklengths - it gives more weak spots in the line. I would go .19 straight through.
    Have you had experience with this avanti elastic as i never trust avanti? For the same price i would go with middy hi viz which i have used and trusted.
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
    [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

another thumbs up for the middy hi viz stuff, i ve got it in 6 out of 9 top kits and never had a problem with it, cheap as chips and works well doubled up as well if thats your bag.
      [COLOR="Green"]Cats and Dogs Netbuster baits[/COLOR]

[url]http://www.catsanddogs-netbusterbaits.co.uk/[/url]

[B][COLOR="red"]DO IT SHALLA!!!![/COLOR][/B]

Comment

For the elastic use the maver pure latex coloured, if you fishing in open water do as conner states but if your near snags then a hook length is needed. I would use the 16-18 maver with 8lb maxima main line and Preston power 8lb also for the hook length. They match up very well the Preston will go before the maxima. Also m8 make sure your pole is up to the job..
        Paypal gift is for friends only

Comment

And remember to keep your pole low!
          [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

i've done a bit of pole fishing, but yup keep it low lol, it's just been a while, the kits changed its numbers etc..

its rated to a 20's elastic, the avanti rubber, no i havent used it before, it came with the pole.. last time i poled it i was on pure white latex, it worked well lol.

there is a couple snags about...

and, 8 main to 6 hook legnth is it now, just bought maxima main and some thin diameter 6 (team england .17mm), just waiting for the licence money now. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...waiting lol. (upgrading later of course, pro line and hydro 14's or 16's is the plan on one top)

ty peeps.

Comment

double 8's works ok, from tiney perch to 2lb carp.. i did pull of of three rather large lumps with a too small a hook.(18's).

Comment

Double 8 works sortof like black hydro i have experienced, apart from less stretch ovcourse. very good stuff. Preston original latex.

Comment

the elastick goes out about 5 feet on 2lber no need for the pulla bung really, the little bits just nip it out the end but no bump offs..it worked.

Comment

Hi.
                    i have double 8s in my shimano pole, landed a 15lb carp on it at my local ponds.
                    it is good stuff.
                    all the best steve.

Comment

who like number coincidences..

set up, double 8's

4lb hooklength

14's hook.

4 red maggots.

4 balls of ground bait every hour (as it turned out). for 4 hours.

4 little roach, (4 inch long).

4 carp from 2 to 3lb

2 beam to 1 1/2lb

and snagged of or cracked off on 4 rather large lumps.

the last lump i had under control, it was fighting with a good 20 feet of stretch to get into to the pads, i shipted one section out, shipped out the the handle section, the fish came out of the pads just in time for............CRACK!!!!!!!!!!! the whole pole popped into the lake there.. on retreval the fish hand transfered to the pads, so in came the pole untill i could reach the elastic, and pull in pull in pull in.. theres always that moment when your thinking ''oooo this is gunna hurt!'' and ping!!!! come back the float and hook and all, all bar one of the 4 number 8 shot. (the elastick and line non the worse for ware).

on a good note a lady accross the way had her personal best at 12lb odd.

must pay more atention to section ends.........and take more time playing the fish..never rush it.

(put the sections the right way round...du dahh.. i was soooo going to visit the pole vender for a chat!!).

Comment

Working...
                      X