Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Are rules going too far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are rules going too far????

I just looked at the website for Woodlands View in Droitwich...
    One of the rules for pleasure anglers is...."to minimise the risk of damage anglers must not photograph fish"....
    Is it just me or does that seem to be taking things to the extreme?
    After all Match anglers (on the same fishery) are allowed to keep fish in keepnets (not allowed if you are a pleasure angler) and then presumably there is all the hassle of weighing them before they are returned at the end of the match...does this not risk damage to the fish too ?

i think this rule would be in place to stop people handling fish for too long, n dropping them. I know not all anglers would keep the fish out of the water for too long but it is to stop those who would. ( I think)

Comment

Originally posted by polepot View Post
      i think this rule would be in place to stop people handling fish for too long, n dropping them. I know not all anglers would keep the fish out of the water for too long but it is to stop those who would. ( I think)
      I appreciate that polepot... but I think this is clearly a case of one rule for match anglers and another for pleasure anglers...surely taking a pic of a decent catch is part and parcel of the sport?

Comment

there has always been difrent rules for match and pleasure anglers. Yes I agree about the pics, but they are his fish and he makes rules to protect them

Comment

Its silly rules like this that force anglers to use a keepnets in the first place on some waters; which can be even more risky for the fish.
          I agree that they should have unhooking mats for largish fish but to stop you photographing your fish????
          I wish they would credit anglers with a little bit more sense as they will drive a lot of anglers off the water.
          Surely they could put warnings on fish care on the ticket and on a noticeboard near the entry gate if necessary.
          Perhaps he thinks that only Match anglers are responsible people?????
          Last edited by BoldBear; 15 January 2008, 04:36 PM.
          Happiness is Fish Shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now):)

Comment

Originally posted by polepot View Post
            there has always been difrent rules for match and pleasure anglers. Yes I agree about the pics, but they are his fish and he makes rules to protect them
            I take your point and agree it is his fishery and his rules...but it just seemed a bit excessive to me, and I have not seen that particular rule enforced anywhere else...have you ?

Comment

Why wood anybody want to take a picture of a scabby old carp thats been caught 100 times before from an over stocked garden pond , not exactly cv material
              I want an end peg

Comment

If it's your 1st, or personal best, you like to keep a record

Comment

I agree with you Jay, but we were all novices at one time and if you or your son/daughter want a photo (or as polepot says it is your personal best) then it should be OK.
                  Last edited by BoldBear; 15 January 2008, 05:07 PM.
                  Happiness is Fish Shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now):)

Comment

This rule has been in place for as long as I can remember but when my son was doing his cub scout angling badge ( many years ago ) I explained to Steve in the tackle shop what he was doing and they were more than happy for me to take a few QUICK pictures. This is a while back now they were just building the new tackle shop then. writing this suddenly makes me feel very old.
                    Part time fisherman. Full time legend ;)
                    [url]www.whitehallrushwickac.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Generally its the big doubles that people want to photograph and these are the ones which are worth a lot of money and are difficult to replace. It makes sense to show these fish a bit of respect and return them to the water as quickly as possible.

Comment

If I caught a big carp I would expect to be able to photograph it; as recording your better catches is normally all part of going fishing; However; anyone found to be spending too long photographing their catch or mistreating the fish in any other way should immediately be shown the errors of their ways and/or asked to leave.

I hardly ever fish commercials (except for the occasional match) as I have access to some really good club waters that don't get this problem even though they hold near record sized fish. However I concede that on overstocked commercials it is possible to get the noddies who havent a clue; mistreating the already stressed fish; but surely there should be someone on site to put these noddies right. after all, the commercials are getting payed; and they can post their rules at the entry gate and on their tickets.

However; if they know that they can't photograph their catch before they buy their tickets I suppose it's their choice; but you wouldn't see me or any of my mates fishing the water for pleasure fishing.

NB. I've just reached my moaning old codger age so make allowances for me
                        Last edited by BoldBear; 23 January 2008, 10:00 PM.

Comment

i think most of us dis-agree with certain rule at different fisheries, and some do seem pretty extreme.
                          but as they say if you dont like them dont fish there there are plenty of other waters to choose from.
                          there are several rules at woodlands that dont float my boat, thats why i choose not to fish there i dont complain about them i just dont go. coz at the end of the day the fish belong to him. so he is entitled to have as meany rules in place as he likes
                          everything louder than everything else:D

Comment

Originally posted by curtains View Post
                            i think most of us dis-agree with certain rule at different fisheries, and some do seem pretty extreme.
                            but as they say if you dont like them dont fish there there are plenty of other waters to choose from.
                            there are several rules at woodlands that dont float my boat, thats why i choose not to fish there i dont complain about them i just dont go. coz at the end of the day the fish belong to him. so he is entitled to have as meany rules in place as he likes
                            I wasn't actually "complaining" about the rule per se... I have never fished in this particular venue...indeed don't even know where it is...it's just that our lives seem now to be governed by rules...

Comment

Mike & Adrian the owner & son, they weigh all the matches at woodlandview, they know how to handle fish. Taking pictures if you know how to do it right won't damage fish, if you don't know how to do it right, fish gets drop dirt gets in between scales end result infection which then can spread through out the lake.

Comment

Working...
                              X