Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

starwort weed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starwort weed

we are having a problem with starwort weed on our fishery, dragging seems to have little effect as there is so much, any ideas as how to get rid of it or control it

Flood the pool with too much nutrient! Not a step I would recommend though mate. Starwort is indicative of good water quality and low nutrient that is important to aquatic plant life. If you remove too much, you might get problems later with algae etc. Bets to rake it out later in the year... sept / oct - but not all of it... just thin it out
    [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

it has come down from the pool above which is that thick of it you cant drop a float in it im afraid of it happening in this pool, the bed at the top 60 mtres of the pool is green all over, it is moving down the pool, the pool has always had lots of lillies but since the brickworks closed and the brick dust doesnt come through the pools the weed is getting worse

Comment

phil what do you mean when you say nutrient m8

Comment

Fertilizer! Most fresh water plants need low nutrient levels mate. When higher levels get washed in from, say, surrounding fields with sheep or horse muck on, algae can take over and shade out submerged plants. But you really need a balance, cos you don't want a pea-souper!

Comment

does this harm the fish and is it legal, the water is midway on a water course, there has been talk of using roundup

Comment

Don't do anything without expert advice mate.

Comment

2 months ago out pool was still heavily thick with starwort, but as its on a country park i dont fish it during school holidays ( too much public traffic and dogs ), yesterday i fished it and not a piece of starwort in the water at all and the lillies had almost gone ??????????

Comment

Maybe the rangers have done some management mate, or just natural progression. Lilies will start to die back now... should still be 'cabbages' on the bottom, depending on what species.

Comment

i dont think they have, not the rangers at least. the pool above still has the weed but the weed in the the next pool down is miracously clear and the water is now coloured. maybe the better fish in the pool might start to be seen. im wondering as the weed disappearance will have any effect on the fish

Comment

Working...
                    X