Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

in vehicle cb radio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in vehicle cb radio.

i have some questions! anybody use these? if you do, for what reason? do you find it useful? is cb slang still used? is it legal in europe? do have a preffered make?.

hi
    just to let you know very few people use the cb's much now my dad as still got
    a old midland cb in working condition but he uses a more upto date radio called a
    which is called a yaesu
    using the upper and lower sideband also am and fm
    to talk with people in other countrys and the ariel
    that must have a span of 30' wide and looks like a upside down umbrella
    i know he needs a licence for his radio because he sometimes uses morsecode
    hope this helps

Comment

CB's died a death when they were legalised....took all the fun out of it

Comment

mikey, what you are referring to is called "amateur radio". you do need a license to use the equipment, although it is usually done through a radio enthusiasts club over 2 days with a "easy" exam to get you started. once you pass, you are issued with a "m3" or "m6" callsign. you are expected to follow ham radio etiquette. to explain what i mean by this, just try having a scan round on 27mhz on fm and you'll know what i mean! cb is still legal in the uk, but only using certain frequencies on FM mode ONLY! the older type cb's were on AM and have been illegal for over 30 years. do a search on google for amateur radio clubs in your area to find out where you can sit the m3/m6 test. it is pretty basic and really only scratches the surface, but it get's you on the air with certain restrictions and opens the door to further developing your understanding of radio communications. the upside down umbrella is called an x beam and from what i've heard they are very good antennas (but are for HF use only- high frequency). you don't need to go as far as learning morse code though, as once you pass as a m3/m6, there are loads of cheap and cheerful 144mhz/ 430mhz (vhf/uhf) handheld radios on ebay for about £30.

Comment

I think the glory days of CB for the general populous is long gone. Up to a few years ago I remember seeing HGV traction units with what looked like CB aerials, but not so much these days.

I think the trucking fraternity used CB to discuss the best locations for picking up or burying prostitutes. These days they just text while driving.

In any event, they are still a liability on the road. ( truckers that is )

Not sure how the law would view CB these days, what with all this hands free nonsense.

10-4 good buddy !!
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

its not a hobbie that im ever likely to get involved with i like gadgets that are simple
            i/e ipods iphones kindles and stuff like that but my dad enjoys his radio's and he's used them
            when in the forces and i remember the days they were illegal and people would phone each other
            when the goverment sent people out to try and catch you out

and still watch smokey and the bandit and convey brillant films
            anybody remember the songs like teddybear

10/4 good buddy catch you on the flip side

Comment

Hi All.
              I had one on my G.L 1100 Goldwing motorbike, it was the a.m version, the naughty 40 they called it, this was in 1994, got told then it was a £5000 fine if you got caught with one.
              No one ever got pulled for using on, and most of the wing lot had them, happy days.
              All the best steve.

Comment

Working...
              X