Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Fishing off the bottom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing off the bottom?

I was just interested to hear how many of you catch near to, but not actually on the bottom on commercials?

If im not fishing shallow, i usually tend to fish dead depth, or on the bottom, depending on conditions etc however ive heard a few people comment recently that theyve caught well fishing 6 inches to a foot off the bottom on their long lines.
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

anyone??????
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Comment

Hi Blueser, This seems to work more so in the summer months when the water has properly warmed up. I've had roach, rudd and skimmers up to around 9" or so off bottom over groundbait with maggot or caster as loose feed and on the hook and quite often they've been a better stamp than those feeding on the bottom. Having said that it used to work fishing the canals in the depths of winter, not that I fish canals much these days..too many boats, cyclists and dog poo.
      Anyway I think most species in commercials will feed off bottom at some point or another. I've caught crucians and carp off bottom on pellet as well as perch on worms.
      Regards TT.
      Last edited by tackle tart; 20 May 2012, 09:00 PM. Reason: misty ping
      I got a new rod for the wife. I'll miss her, but it's a quality rod.

Comment

I was fishing in the margins yesterday,started on the bottom and did ok,came up 3/4 inches in 3 ft of water and caught plenty of silverfish.Close in i rarely fish on the bottom,mainly to stop the bait get covered in muck or 'detritus' (whatever that is!)Further out i usually start full depth and see how it goes.
        I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. ~Robert Altman

Comment

Match today guy won with 167lb most of which 6" off bottom in margin on maggot feeding heavy over the top, he did take 9 pints tho!!!! I fished on deck in Margin with 1 pint maggot had 107lb.

Comment

cheers lads, interesting!

Comment

Working...
            X