Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Whining/ grating noise from rod.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whining/ grating noise from rod.

    Hi,

    Recently bought a new rod and have noticed that whenever i am fishing with a feeder and start to wind in there is a whining/grating noise,this also happens when playing a fish.
    Do you think this is just the rod bedding in, being new, or damaged line.
    I have looked at all the line guides and everything seems ok.

    Thanks

    Regards

    Shooter

  • #2
    Originally posted by shooter7shooter View Post
    Hi,

    Recently bought a new rod and have noticed that whenever i am fishing with a feeder and start to wind in there is a whining/grating noise,this also happens when playing a fish.
    Do you think this is just the rod bedding in, being new, or damaged line.
    I have looked at all the line guides and everything seems ok.

    Thanks

    Regards

    Shooter
    Shooter, more info needed, what rod, what reel, what line. rods dont need bedding in
    John

    Comment


    • #3
      sounds more like some muck caught up in the reel somewhere to me, only noise i've ever heard from a rod was shortly followed by the sound of breaking fibreglass!
      i'm not lazy, just energy efficient.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lambrettasx200 View Post
        Shooter, more info needed, what rod, what reel, what line. rods dont need bedding in
        Hi,

        Shimano speedmaster commercial feeder rod and shakespeare superteam line.
        Reels fine.
        Also noticed i am getting a lot of line twist which wasn't happening before.

        Regrads

        Shooter

        Comment


        • #5
          sounds to me like a line guide got a grove in it, is your line fraying after a days fishing?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shooter7shooter View Post
            Hi,

            Shimano speedmaster commercial feeder rod and shakespeare superteam line.
            Reels fine.
            Also noticed i am getting a lot of line twist which wasn't happening before.

            Regrads

            Shooter
            In my opinion you are using one of the better tip rods available so its got to be the reel or the line unless a liner has come out of one of the guides & you havent spotted it or when you have threaded the line you have twisted it over the rod. 1st change the line see if that makes a difference if it still persists put the reel on another rod & check. its an elimanation procees Im afraid. good luck John
            John

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, also when reeling in it sometimes feels as if i have snagged some weed and then it frees itself and it is fine.

              Originally posted by Sutty View Post
              sounds to me like a line guide got a grove in it, is your line fraying after a days fishing?

              Comment


              • #8
                check yer rod then properly mate personally i didnt think line guides wore out these days,most r designed so braid can be used, but obviously im wrong.Also check the roller on yer reel too remember yrs ago it was common for mitchell reel rollers to wear out fast

                Comment


                • #9
                  sounds like your line roller what reel have you got cheaper reels will have a bush instead of a roller bearing strip it down and clean it out

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sounds to me like your line is wrapped around your rod when your reeling in due to slack line tbh either at the tip or around a line guide along the length, but most likely at the tip. It happens with quivers especially the softer commercial ones.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Cleaned reel and changed spool, much better now. Personally i think it was the line roller as wiggley worm said. Thanks to all who replied.
                      Looks like i will be updating my reel soon.
                      What do you think rarenium or stradic?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I would try a line with some stretch in see if still does it

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Line stretch causes twist 100% of the time. Wont go wrong with a stradic put some good line on it with limited stretch.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X