Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Smart or what ?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart or what ?.

Fishing a club match yesterday at Hayfield Lakes, when I finally witnessed an event that I'd heard of but had never seen.
    Now I've always been a bit sceptical about the intelligence of fish, and I'm still not sure if this incident was a fluke, or this fish had done this before.
    Anyway whilst fishing the pole long trying to catch shallow, a carp that was already in the net, kept jumping at the top ring of the keepnet. after several hits on the top ring it managed to bounce the ring down to the water, and before I could get the pole in to lift the top ring back up, it had made its escape.
    So are carp really this smart ? .
    Whatever you do, someone will always say "they knew you would"....!. :(:(:(

i have seen them jump onto the bank and eat wots been leftbehind by anglers then flip back into water! ok wasnt mtrs away from the edge but they was dry!! ............lol

Comment

Originally posted by andrew65 View Post
      i have seen them jump onto the bank and eat wots been leftbehind by anglers then flip back into water! ok wasnt mtrs away from the edge but they was dry!! ............lol
      Those were DUCKS Andrew...keep taking the medication.
      Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

When i fish moorlands i always have my nets about 20" above the water ,because they do jump out regularly.
        Acouple of years ago i had 3 fish escape in 1 match.
        Only yesterday Des Ravenhall had 1 jump out of his net !!
        Colin

Comment

i had one jump into my lap a couple of weeks ago , that made me jump !! and in went back in the water i to raise my nets higher now .

Comment

Chub like to do this too, quickly learned my lesson fishing rivers.

Tie a length of thick pole elastic around the net between the top ring and the second ring, to close the opening a fair bit. Small fish can still get dropped straight in, and the bigger fish can go through by stretching open the elastic, but no fish can jump out. Sorted.
            [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I had a Chub come out of my net like a missile when fishing the Ribble many years ago.
              I was standing in the river with the net in front of me trotting a sticky, the thing must have took a run up from the bottom ring and flew past me at shoulder height. I always rest me landing net head on top of my net now.
              On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post
                Chub like to do this too, quickly learned my lesson fishing rivers.

Tie a length of thick pole elastic around the net between the top ring and the second ring, to close the opening a fair bit. Small fish can still get dropped straight in, and the bigger fish can go through by stretching open the elastic, but no fish can jump out. Sorted.
                This used to happen on the Thames with chub jumping out of the net & we tied a bungee strap between the top & 2nd ring
                John

Comment

dont you lot like a jump now and then ????

Comment

Working...
                  X