Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

anti angling beeb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti angling beeb?

Tuesday 10thJuly 2012
    Swans and LeadPoisoning:
    Statement from the Angling Trust

Angling Trust News
    BBC Midlands Today broadcast a news item about swans being poisoned by lead on the River Severn today, which included an interview with Jan Harrigan, who is a well-known campaigner against angling. The piece included reference to lead poisoning from splitshot.

The Angling Trust found out about this story third hand at 10pmlast night and we immediately sent a statement to the programme informing them that there is no evidence linking alleged lead poisoning of swans with lead shot, which was banned more than 20years ago. A far more likely culprit is the lead flashing on the bridges on the Severn which has been found in large quantities onthe riverbed in this area. The BBC had arranged to speak to a local angler, but he wisely withdrew from the interview this morning. The Angling Trust statement was only partially referred to on the programme.

We have spoken to the programme producers today to express our dismay at the misrepresentation of angling. They have agreed to edit the evening programme to ensure that our statement is included along with a statement from the Environment Agency confirming our position. We offered a spokesman this afternoon, but no BBC cameramen were available to interview us.

The implications of this broadcast are potentially very serious for angling and it is very frustrating that this story has been shown, given that there is no scientific data to back up the claims being made by the anti-angling campaigners. The Angling Trust has made great progress in the past year working closely with the National Swan Convention and the RSPCA to tackle issues of angling litter (line and hooks) affecting swans.

Anyone who wishes to contact the programme to let them know that anglers are not the cause of this alleged problem, and that we are in fact responsible for reporting the vast majority of pollution incidents and carrying out hundreds of thousands of volunteer-hours of environmental improvement work each year, should e-mail [email protected]

Issues such as this demonstrate the importance of having a strong voice for angling. Please spread the word.

Midlands Today
    [email protected]

Angling Trust
    [email protected]

Join the Angling Trust now at www.anglingtrust.net
    All our work depends on the support of our members and donors.
    The Angling Trust, Eastwood House, Rainbow Street, HR6 8DQ.
    Registered Business Number: 05320350.

Jimbo, Thanks for reporting this I can't believe they still report that we use lead shot. Just shows we have to be vigilant. John
    John

Comment

Jan Harrigan is a pain in the arse !!
      when i was Superintendent Bailiff for WDUAA i had numerous run in with her !!
      she is a law unto herself & Worcester Council have been conned by her for the last 20yrs !!
      they have done whatever she has requested
      They banned fishing in the Town for 200yds either side of town Bridge back in the Mid 80s
      Every year she puts up No fishing signs above the Rowing club that are not within the boundaries agreed & they get further & further up
      3 yrs ago just before River Season openend she had put 2 signs just below Pitchcroft bend 1/2 mile above bridge so we informed the council & they gave us permission to remove them !!
      Colin

Comment

narrow minded or what i would love to take her shark fishing as bait
        do they still use lead shot in shot gun cartridges

Comment

Hi guys

Lead shot whilst shooting within 300 yards was banned nearly 10 years ago i think. Those of us that shot wildfowl have to use bismuth or steel or Tungsten matrix.

So where all this lead shot is coming from god only knows. The amount of Swans shown to be ill on the report we anglers must be chucking away a pound of lead shot (in weight) every time we go fishing, especially when there are less anglers using the rivers these days.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ay_10_07_2012/
            For those not in the Midlands Area Go to about 13.40 mark on above link.
            Blind acceptance is a sign of stupid fools that stand in line

Comment

Originally posted by PUD View Post
              Hi guys

Lead shot whilst shooting within 300 yards was banned nearly 10 years ago i think. Those of us that shot wildfowl have to use bismuth or steel or Tungsten matrix.

So where all this lead shot is coming from god only knows. The amount of Swans shown to be ill on the report we anglers must be chucking away a pound of lead shot (in weight) every time we go fishing, especially when there are less anglers using the rivers these days.
              thats nice to know atleast we as sportsmen are doing our bit for the enviroment and nature. people should find out the facts before judging others

Comment

Sent this to the beeb. Done my bit, would be nice if we all replied instead of bitching on here about it.
                To whom it may concern
                Was very dismayed to see the report on lead poisoning in swans. Lead shot has been banned above No8 shot for years.
                Also the scientific report has concluded that the high levels of lead in the Severn around Bewdley are to do with the amount of lead flashing used on the bridge and I think are found naturally in the river bed.
                This is poor reporting on the BBC's part you would think an organisation of your standing would get your facts correct before doing a report.
                Also I pay for a "tax" I mean a license and would therefore like the BBC to report fairly and put both sides of the issue over. If I had a choice I wouldn't pay for a license but hey we live in a free society??? don't we.
                Anglers are the watchmen of the countryside and actually see and report problems long before most others. We also work through the Angling Trust with other bodies to protect wildlife, wild fowl etc.
                So get your facts right instead of producing programmes that are ill informed and mis-lead the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by diddly-squatt View Post
                  Sent this to the beeb. Done my bit, would be nice if we all replied instead of bitching on here about it.
                  To whom it may concern
                  Was very dismayed to see the report on lead poisoning in swans. Lead shot has been banned above No8 shot for years.
                  Also the scientific report has concluded that the high levels of lead in the Severn around Bewdley are to do with the amount of lead flashing used on the bridge and I think are found naturally in the river bed.
                  This is poor reporting on the BBC's part you would think an organisation of your standing would get your facts correct before doing a report.
                  Also I pay for a "tax" I mean a license and would therefore like the BBC to report fairly and put both sides of the issue over. If I had a choice I wouldn't pay for a license but hey we live in a free society??? don't we.
                  Anglers are the watchmen of the countryside and actually see and report problems long before most others. We also work through the Angling Trust with other bodies to protect wildlife, wild fowl etc.
                  So get your facts right instead of producing programmes that are ill informed and mis-lead the general public.
                  Spot mate have just sent an email

Comment

Jan Harridan more like.....vile
                    Real men fish rivers

Comment

Its Harrigan.

Comment

Harrigan spelt G-R-O-T-T B-A-G-S !!
                        Colin

Comment

or spelt p.u.t. y.o.u.r. h.e.a.d. i.n. t.h.e m.i.c.r.o.w.a.v.e .f.o.r. 1.h.o.u.r,,,,,,,,,,you fridge and get a life
                          [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

Never had an official reply from the beeb just an automated e-mail. Poor show

Comment

Not sure the 'beeb' are anti angling at all - didn't they broadcast 'Passion for Angling'??

I am guessing this is a regional report thing, so this post title is being slightly provocative

If this woman is a member of RSPB then maybe voice your concerns to them about her ill informed views, they will have more of an influence than the bbc, and that includes the Angling Trust... Moaning to BBC will not achieve a lot I think.

Tight Lines
                              Last edited by greenbank; 19 July 2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X