Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Would you report your catch data to help monitor the health of the waters you fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you report your catch data to help monitor the health of the waters you fish?

Who knows the health of the UK's water ways better than the people who regularly use them, such as anglers? My name is Theo Blossom and I am a masters student in Conservation Science. My final thesis project is looking at the possibility of using self reported angler catch data for monitoring freshwater fish in the UK. Monitoring data is important for fisheries management to restore and enhance the health and performance of our waterways. Maybe a phone app or website could used to input the data? I would like to hear why anglers would or wouldn’t participate in such a scheme?

All fishermen are cheats and liars and most are illiterate, but i wish you all the best in your findings
    Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
    If you havnt got a good partner.
    Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

Originally posted by Rive t View Post
      All fishermen are cheats and liars and most are illiterate, but i wish you all the best in your findings
      I didnt realise that we were held in such high esteem Rive t. But as you can see I am not illiterate lol
      John

Comment

Originally posted by lambrettasx200 View Post
        I didnt realise that we were held in such high esteem Rive t. But as you can see I am not illiterate lol
        Liar !
        On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
          Liar !
          Good afternoon Spadger is it peeing down on the Wirral, John
          John

Comment

No mate.
            Sunny but very windy and gusty, the type of wind that could be a pole snapper. MT knows the type.
            On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
              No mate.
              Sunny but very windy and gusty, the type of wind that could be a pole snapper. MT knows the type.
              Naughty, but true, dont start him off again, he was alright after his visit to the Rabbi where he was convinced he didnt need to buy another waggler
              John

Comment

Originally posted by theoblossom View Post
                Who knows the health of the UK's water ways better than the people who regularly use them, such as anglers? My name is Theo Blossom and I am a masters student in Conservation Science. My final thesis project is looking at the possibility of using self reported angler catch data for monitoring freshwater fish in the UK. Monitoring data is important for fisheries management to restore and enhance the health and performance of our waterways. Maybe a phone app or website could used to input the data? I would like to hear why anglers would or wouldn’t participate in such a scheme?
                Theo,

Maybe you should apply for a job with the EA?

They seem to have this sorted already lol:

http://environment-agency.resultspag...20surveys&rk=1

On a serious note, if you are a 'Masters student' how do you you see a 'phone app or website working??

How would you record the data say from me saying I caught 70lbs of carp from X venue???

Next week I say I caught x amount of fish from another venue???

It's a nice idea, but for goodness sake, if that is what a Masters student needs to do to complete a thesis it is good job you are paying your own fees....

Sorry but you have to realise what a flawed concept you have suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by greenbank View Post
                  Theo,

Maybe you should apply for a job with the EA?

They seem to have this sorted already lol:

http://environment-agency.resultspag...20surveys&rk=1

On a serious note, if you are a 'Masters student' how do you you see a 'phone app or website working??

How would you record the data say from me saying I caught 70lbs of carp from X venue???

Next week I say I caught x amount of fish from another venue???

It's a nice idea, but for goodness sake, if that is what a Masters student needs to do to complete a thesis it is good job you are paying your own fees....

Sorry but you have to realise what a flawed concept you have suggested.
                  Hi greenbank,

Thanks for the reply, I am interested to hear all opinions on a scheme such as this.

Basically, a lot of time, effort and money is spent on monitoring fish (mainly by the EA) to justify action to improve water ways, which should improve the performance of fisheries. And is it always effective monitoring? There is so much knowledge out there in anglers which could be used to see how healthy water ways are. With an app or website anglers could report what they catch, maybe a digital logbook type thing, then certain parts of that information, like species caught, number of fish, year class estimation (from length), where you catch it (with automatic GPS data) would detect trends in fish populations, particularly when effort is recorded (hours fishing). You could use privacy settings to say who you wanted to see your catch statistics, if you were worried about that. Some data would be sent to a confidential data base to be used for fisheries monitoring and used for fisheries management. Yes the data has limitations, but actually, collected over time, can be very powerful source of information to then go to the EA and tell them how your waters have changed. The same happens with a lot of match catch data, why not regular catch data?

It is done by some localised fisheries, the data being very helpful for them to approach the EA and justify why they want the EA to take action.

Would that be useful? Who would bother to do it and who wouldn't?

Comment

The River boards were doing that even before they became part of the EA
                    Iwas Superintendent Baillif for WDUAA through the 80s & the severn consultative monitored fish catches ,flood levels Bank erosion ,Pollution ,Water quality & Flow & anything else you can think of
                    To be honest No it was a waste of time attending the meetings ,because all they were ever interested in was making the Rivers Sterile
                    So in a few years time it could be safe to drink .
                    That is the reason our Rivers in this area have been in demise
                    At Bewdley alone there used to be weed in the River everywhere now you can see the bottom in all those areas & the Spawning beds have dissapeared totaly
                    So IMO your idea has been done for over 30yrs & all it has managed to do is knacker our River system up
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                      Iwas Superintendent Baillif for WDUAA through the 80s & the severn consultative monitored fish catches ,flood levels Bank erosion ,Pollution ,Water quality & Flow & anything else you can think of
                      To be honest No it was a waste of time attending the meetings ,because all they were ever interested in was making the Rivers Sterile
                      At Bewdley alone there used to be weed in the River everywhere now you can see the bottom in all those areas & the Spawning beds have dissapeared totaly
                      So IMO your idea has been done for over 30yrs & all it has managed to do is knacker our River system up
                      What he said.
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                        The current EA policy is not to make rivers sterile. They have intentions to make fisheries as naturally productive as they can be. Whether they do this in the best way, I don't know. But one thing they say they need more of, is data of fish population trends to detect areas that need addressing. Could anglers help with this through a self reported angler catch scheme?

Long term data, over 30 years is what is needed to detect changes. What is a healthy river? Non of us alive today really know what a healthy river is, human influence has really affected them. But rivers that have been monitored and managed in the correct way over the past few decades do seem to be becoming more productive? Again, I don't know if that long term data set has been used in the right way, it sounds like form your experience it hasn't. I just wonder if it could though?

Us anglers use the water ways for our own recreational pleasure? We could help in the maintenance and improvement of them?

Comment

Thank you for reply by the way BIG COL, it's really good to hear what people think.

Comment

with respect
                            The E/A over the yrs has done endless amounts of research as they put it into the health of our Waterways ,this has been & always will be funded initialy from licence fees (however much is left ) after the Goverment has had thier cut !!
                            The Severn Consultative was formed about 35yrs ago & they have always maintained that thier main aim was too clean up the waterways
                            Remove Weed, Bacteria etc & believe me they have succeeded.
                            IMO & i have documentation to this effect Somewhere the sole aim of their existance was to make the Rivers Clean & in their own words if the waterways were unable to support Fish life then tough .if they had their way the Rivers would be that clean they would not be capable of supporting fish life @ all !!
                            Colin

Comment

OK. Thanks BIG COL.

Do you think anyone else would find monitoring of fish populations via catch data useful? Anglers who were willing to provide their data, who would you want to have access to it and what would you like to see in it for the angler?

Comment

Working...
                              X