Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Canoeist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canoeist

Im a canoeist and I also fish. (not both at the same time, I'm male)

What trouble have you had with canoeists ?

What trouble have you had with other anglers ?

I am trying to gauge what conflict there actually is out there, away from media hype.

I fish and personally ive had no trouble from canoeists (In fact I've only ever seen a couple while fishing on the Severn at Shrewsbury)

I canoe and I have had no trouble with anglers, sometimes we chat, sometimes we just say hi, some times I say hi and no reply, thats life.

I never have any trouble with other anglers, they are on the bank and can"t paddle off and as such act in a respectful manner.
    Paddlers on the other hand tend to have a total lack of consideration towards anglers,it may be down to the fact that they have a complete lack of knowledge about fishing or a complete lack of manners and consideration for others, it"s possibly a mixture of both.
    Paddlers only realy affect a small percentage of anglers nowadays ie the die hard river anglers if you are looking for advice as to how to form better relationships with anglers,stay as far away from them as you possibly can,don"t stop,make manoervers or practice tequniques(turning,reversing,capsizeing and righting)anywhere near an angler.
    This, as the name suggests is an angling forum and while many varied topics do get discussed please be aware that any threads deemed to have been posted for the sole reason of creating an adverse response(flaming/trolling)or are deemed to be going that way will be locked/deleted.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratty View Post
      Im a canoeist and I also fish. (not both at the same time, I'm male)

What trouble have you had with canoeists ?

What trouble have you had with other anglers ?

I am trying to gauge what conflict there actually is out there, away from media hype.

I fish and personally ive had no trouble from canoeists (In fact I've only ever seen a couple while fishing on the Severn at Shrewsbury)

I canoe and I have had no trouble with anglers, sometimes we chat, sometimes we just say hi, some times I say hi and no reply, thats life.
      Hi, had no trouble at all with canoeists mate been going to gearys,barston, blythe+ bonehill for years never seen one tight lines
      MR. BLUE SKY

Comment

the canoeists at Fladbury on the Warks Avon - they used to sing "another one bites the dust" whilst trawling through anglers lines on the river there. They were high end canoeists, teams of four etc, but they used the river with a total disregard for other river users. Never had a problem anywhere else though.
        Real men fish rivers

Comment

Thank you for your reply hurricane,
          I want to try and close the gap and not widen it.
          I canoe and I fish so I have a foot in both camps.
          I want to go to tell canoeist what the problems are from an anglers view (not mine)

I will give tou an example who I am,
          I canoed a section of the Trent and Mersey the last Sunday ( three canoes)
          We came across a few anglers and past with no event and even had a joke with one. then there was a large gap and then I saw a large line of anglers.
          I made the choise to stop before we reached them, parked up and had a brew.
          We then made our journey back.
          I didnt want to disturb so many anglers just for an extra mile on the trip.

I am not after any arguements.
          I am just trying to make life a little easier for all that use the water,

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Care View Post
            the canoeists at Fladbury on the Warks Avon - they used to sing "another one bites the dust" whilst trawling through anglers lines on the river there. They were high end canoeists, teams of four etc, but they used the river with a total disregard for other river users. Never had a problem anywhere else though.
            Rowers ?

Comment

rowers.....lol yes. Not canoeists......
              Real men fish rivers

Comment

ahhhhhh ,

Ive had trouble with them while canoeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Care View Post
                  A full broadside of arseley bombs and generous pouch,s of mixed mag,s should have sorted that out m8 !!!
                  MR. BLUE SKY

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post
                    A full broadside of arseley bombs and generous pouch,s of mixed mag,s should have sorted that out m8 !!!
                    But would that solve anything,
                    They would be back canoeing the same place another day with maybe a few more canoes, or rowers,
                    And the person casting the lead would possibly be on a charge, the same for the maggots,
                    surly there is a better way.

Like complain to the rowing club that they are members of,
                    report them to the EA the BCU, British Rowing.
                    Report them to the university if they are conected to one.

Then at least you have something in writing that there is a conlict.

Comment

Ratty,of course not every paddler is of the "Jones" mentality and yes I have met a few who go out of thier way to be considerate but unfortunately they are a very small minority,one problem is that paddlers may not see an angler until the last minute and because they are basically silent(unlike powered craft)an angler will not hear them coming,and close contact is unavoidable ,in such instances BOTH parties should use a little tact and diplomacy.
                      As I said giving anglers as wide a berth as possible and causing as little disturbance in close proximity would IMO resolve many of the issues.
                      Last edited by hurricane; 15 July 2012, 09:51 PM. Reason: typo
                      Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

But would that solve anything,
                        They would be back canoeing the same place another day with maybe a few more canoes, or rowers,
                        And the person casting the lead would possibly be on a charge, the same for the maggots,
                        surly there is a better way.

Like complain to the rowing club that they are members of,
                        report them to the EA the BCU, British Rowing.
                        Report them to the university if they are conected to one.

Then at least you have something in writing that there is a conlict.
                        Ratty your response is both sensible ,measured and correct and thou my comments were tongue in cheek , i now realize it would be more sensible to hail the fellows and say "hey chaps what uni are u from , or ahoy could i please have your BCU membership numbers as i am going to report you !!! then when they have given me the "two fingered salute" and told me to get" rubber ducked" then give em the lead and maggys sorted
                        MR. BLUE SKY

Comment

Yes I agree hurricane

It is difficult see lines at times, trying to work out especially on a river as you more closer is near bank or far bank being fished, then again it could be the crease running near the middle.
                          We also have to bear in mind some anglers have never fished and visa versa,

We then have the problem of the canoe day hire, were a person is new to canoeing and trying to get to grips with it, and may never have fished either.
                          This is one concern of some anglers on the Wye

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post
                            Ratty your response is both sensible ,measured and correct and thou my comments were tongue in cheek , i now realize it would be more sensible to hail the fellows and say "hey chaps what uni are u from , or ahoy could i please have your BCU membership numbers as i am going to report you !!! then when they have given me the "two fingered salute" and told me to get" rubber ducked" then give em the lead and maggys sorted
                            That is your choice Goff.
                            I guess you reap what you sow.

What is it with maggots anyway, i heard this before but never got it.
                            Theres alot of canoeist who are bushcrafters as well and would just make a meal from them.
                            Rowers errrr i dunno

Comment

That is your choice Goff.
                              I guess you reap what you sow.

What is it with maggots anyway, i heard this before but never got it.
                              Theres alot of canoeist who are bushcrafters as well and would just make a meal from them.
                              Rowers errrr i dunno
                              It,s no good if u join in with joke mate, good luck on your guest for tolerance it,s the only way to go , must go now and sharpen a bank stick in case there are any cyclists on the canal in the morning
                              MR. BLUE SKY

Comment

Working...
                              X