Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Calling all old blind anglers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all old blind anglers!!!

Afternoon guys, I had a great days angling the other day but I am struggling big time tying terminal tackle and close up work, I wear varia-focal glasses but have to take them off to tie knots etc. etc.

does anyone on here ever use over the counter glasses or the like for there fishing/setting up/tyeing hooks etc. etc. and if so where did you buy them and how much were they, I lost a couple of good fish the other day just because I hadn't tied my my hook properly, and that's just plain embarrassing.

Opticians.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Take a packet of 22 hooks to the over the counter glasses purveyor and try them on till the hooks look the size of a 12.
      Works for me and i'm not kidding either.
      On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

One of the old boys at my fly club has a fold down magnifier that swings down from under the peak of his cap, he swears by it.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Lesco, go into Superdrug as they stock Foster Grant reading glasses which are a better quality than most and as Spadger said take some 22s with you. The one I use is a frameless model called Le Carre & they are about £13. cheers John
          John

Comment

jam pot bottoms spadger ? pmsl
            primark 2quid a pop, im on 2.5 for hook tying.
            brookside anglers EX- superstar

Comment

Originally posted by davebee View Post
              jam pot bottoms spadger ? pmsl
              primark 2quid a pop, im on 2.5 for hook tying.
              2.5 Dave thats what I use but then I am an old fart unlike you. cheers John
              John

Comment

Originally posted by lambrettasx200 View Post
                2.5 Dave thats what I use but then I am an old fart unlike you. cheers John

dont know mate? im feeling every year recently and my dodgy mince pies will back me up on that
                brookside anglers EX- superstar

Comment

i picked some up & tried them on in Matalan 4.5 the price tag was about 2ft square !!
                  only £2 but way too strong for me !!
                  didnt know they came in different strengths until yesterday !!
                  Colin

Comment

I have at least half a dozen pairs,in the car around the house and in each of my fishing kits...POUNDLAND...and before anyone asks they are a pound a pair.
                    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

I went into the Pound shop in Acocks Green when i went to brum
                      There was loads of stuff in there priced more than £1
                      some of the stuff was marked as high as £5
                      Colin

Comment

If you already wear glasses, try a clip on jewelers loupe, they are great for the really fine fiddly things that are encountered with fishing. when they are not being used they just swivel up out of the way. The one I have has two len's which can be used in tandem or singly

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                          I went into the Pound shop in Acocks Green when i went to brum
                          There was loads of stuff in there priced more than £1
                          some of the stuff was marked as high as £5
                          Better get down to specsavers then Col,there aint a "POUNDLAND" in Acocks Green.
                          Their business is built on everything being £1.00,even the special offers,ie 2 or 3 or 4 for a pound.
                          The stuff they sell is 99% absolute crap but there is often a gem of a bargain to be found.

Comment

Pete it was about 3 yrs ago the shop was just past the GAP to the right of the Old Woolworths opposite the Island !!
                            I thought that was Poundland !
                            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                              Pete it was about 3 yrs ago the shop was just past the GAP to the right of the Old Woolworths opposite the Island !!
                              I thought that was Poundland !
                              No mate,there are hundreds if not thousands of copiers throughout the country,they use similar names and some even have their sinage in green to immitate the originals,When they first started,a lot of the stock was bought from suppliers clearing discontinued lines,bankrupt stock etc and well known brands could be picked up for a quid,most of it now is produced for them to sell at £1.00 so the quality has got to be poor but the odd jem does still pop up now and again,and most of their outlets have a large selection of reading specs in a wide range of styles and strengths.
                              Last edited by hurricane; 20 July 2012, 11:47 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X