Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

paste fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paste fishing

HELLO TALK ANGLING PEOPLE. I POSTED THIS THREAD ON ANOTHER ANGLING RELATED SITE AND HAD SOME VERY INTERESTING AND USEFUL FEEDBACK, THEREFORE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO POST IT ON HERE TOO TO SEE IF THE ADVICE FROM YOU LADS WAS SIMILAR. AS THEY SAY, YOU CAN NEVER GET TOO MUCH GOOD ADVICE ABOUT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO LEARN ABOUT. I APRECIATE THAT SOME OF YOU LADS ARE ALSO MEMBERS OF THE OTHER SITE TOO. MANY THANKS, ADAM. good evening all. after sitting for 4 hours biteless on the tip in the match today, i decided to try something out of my comfort zone and mix up some green stuff and make paste. i have a general idea of the principals of paste fishing so rigged up a slim bodied float direct on to 0.20 with no shot on the line. i plumbed up perfectly and proceeded to start catching straight away, although i missed 50% of the bites i had ad landed only 50% of the fish i hooked. i bagged 50lb in the last two hours and missed out on third by only 4oz and second by only 4lb. the winner bagged 165lb so was well out of sight. my question is this. what size/pattern hook should i have tied on. i tried a tubertini 175 size 4, a kamasan animal in 12 and 14. where did i go wrong as i feel that my hook choice could have been the key to me weighing in a much bigger weight. many thanks for your time, adam

Hi Adam,

Your hook choice is fine, i use the 175's for paste fishing and the Animal Eyed when bagging...... so there is not much wrong there!!
    Hook size the same as you 12's or 14's!

I would look closer at your feeding and reading "propper" paste bites, feeding wise you need to feed enough to keep fish in swim BUT not too much that causes liners and foul hookers.
    If feeding pellets try dampening them down so they sink faster, again anything to reduce the chance of liners or bringing fish up in water.
    Float choice, try using a paste type float & just make sure you keep enough bristle out of water so that you read the bites properly.
    When paste fishing your float will move around all the time as fish grub about, striking at any movement will result in foul hooked fish.... which maybe the reason you are loosing them.
    Propper normal paste bite are very fast and very positive, be patient with your striking.... you will see the difference between bites and liners the more you fish with paste.

Comment

Also try tipping the paste and loose offerings in, then letting the paste land some distance away, 18" or so.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonP View Post
        Hi Adam,

Your hook choice is fine, i use the 175's for paste fishing and the Animal Eyed when bagging...... so there is not much wrong there!!
        Hook size the same as you 12's or 14's!

I would look closer at your feeding and reading "propper" paste bites, feeding wise you need to feed enough to keep fish in swim BUT not too much that causes liners and foul hookers.
        If feeding pellets try dampening them down so they sink faster, again anything to reduce the chance of liners or bringing fish up in water.
        Float choice, try using a paste type float & just make sure you keep enough bristle out of water so that you read the bites properly.
        When paste fishing your float will move around all the time as fish grub about, striking at any movement will result in foul hooked fish.... which maybe the reason you are loosing them.
        Propper normal paste bite are very fast and very positive, be patient with your striking.... you will see the difference between bites and liners the more you fish with paste.
        many thanks mate

Comment

Originally posted by luke carpstalker View Post
          Also try tipping the paste and loose offerings in, then letting the paste land some distance away, 18" or so.
          to what ends luke?

Comment

It keeps the paste out of the middle of the loose offerings. When there are alot of fish hoovering up pellets or hemp it's asking for line bites.

You only do this as and when needed. Have alsofahd success by alternating the pot offerings into 2 spots about a yard apart, and letting the paste land in the middle.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

It keeps the paste out of the middle of the loose offerings. When there are alot of fish hoovering up pellets or hemp it's asking for line bites.

You only do this as and when needed. Have alsofahd success by alternating the pot offerings into 2 spots about a yard apart, and letting the paste land in the middle.
              i see. as far as the rig set up in my origional post, does everything else sound about right?

Comment

Some people prefer no shot, I prefer just enough to pull the body of the float down. If I'm fishing in 5ft of water I will place shot so it's above half depth.

A bit of shot helps stop the float tugging the hook out of the paste. I fish with floats up to 1g, this can again help distinguish between knocks, and proper takes.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Here ya go bud! a great article thats still relevant and worth reading a couple of times!

http://www.talkangling.co.uk/Paste-fishing.htm
                  HAPPY TOTTERINGHAMS DAY 15/5/2016

Comment

Some people prefer no shot, I prefer just enough to pull the body of the float down. If I'm fishing in 5ft of water I will place shot so it's above half depth.

A bit of shot helps stop the float tugging the hook out of the paste. I fish with floats up to 1g, this can again help distinguish between knocks, and proper takes.
                    thanks luke

Comment

Originally posted by ABBO62 View Post
                      Here ya go bud! a great article thats still relevant and worth reading a couple of times!

http://www.talkangling.co.uk/Paste-fishing.htm
                      very interesting article thankyou. have printed it off and will take it with me tomorrow.

Comment

bagged up on the paste today!!!!! arms are killing me. had well over 150lb in 5 hours using some of the info from you lads gave up so thanks a lot. will definately be practicing more with it and hopefully improving my match results.

Comment

Working...
                        X