Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Trout fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trout fishing

Hi,

Need some help and i only have 4 days to get everything sorted!. Going to a private lake soon where we are not sure if there are any trout left in it and ive never fished for trout before, only carp and tench etc.

Im wondering if anyone can help me with a few things, such as, what spinners and lures would be good? anyone know of any cheap lures and boxes? Also anyone know of any videos on youtube, that show how to attach a lure and spinner.

I currently have a thick rod and big reel that can hold up to 40lb, but i know lighter and smaller the better, so i was thinking of putting a 6lb line on that reel, and then using my smaller reel and lightweight rod and placing another 6lb line on it. would this work?.

Also, is it worth feeding with trout pellets, so the fish come around the area, then using the spinner around it?. The lake is owned by relatives, and is on a mountain in Wales, so the was built by my relatives, and stocked over 20 years ago with brown and rainbow trout with crayfish and apparently someone did catch in there a couple of years ago, so i have a big task of catching something. The lake is priddy still, although it does have water that flows from the summit, through it, then down a very fast stream down the mountain, which is borded off by wire so any fish in the lake cant get out. Although will have to check the wire, just incase there is an escape route.

But i need as much help as possible in the next 4 days!!
    Thanks
    Mike
    Gone Fishing!

Trout love maggots and worms. If you are going to see if theres any fish in there then maggots would be the best way to catch them.

Comment

really? i didnt realise trout would eat sitting baits?

I'll try that then. Just had another thought, and im thinking of buying a telescopic rod, maybe 8ft. and use my small reels, and then take a small bag with some spinners, and floats
      Gone Fishing!

Comment

Worm and maggot would be a good starting point.I would start where the water comes in the lake from the summit,depending on flow you could try freelining a worm, you could even try bread,i wouldn't bother with pellets,unless i had some to hand.Any spinner should do and there pretty cheap,most tackle shops do them in packs of 3-4.

Comment

Thanks alot, will try freelining and maggots, and i was thinking groundbait pellets, feed up a swim near the flow, and drop it straight in there, while my brother trys spinner near it, might work :S aha
          Gone Fishing!

Comment

any small spinner will be best, mepps number 0 etc, dont go to heavy on line as it will hamper casting etc, fiish the spinner at different speeds and jerky movements, near rushes trees, Cast your lure as far as you can. Let the lure drop to about 2-4 feet from the bottom of the lake. Give it one quick jerk, and slowly reel it in, stopping every 3 or 4 feet to allow your lure to drop back down a bit. Give it a jerk every time you stop reeling in. This gives the lure the look of a dying fish. Once you have reeled the lure all the way in, cast it back out about 10 times. If you haven’t had a bite from a fish, then it is time to test a new lure.

Comment

Thats alot mate, excatly what i was looking for everything out of that i will try, although one problem is its very open, no trees or overhanging, it was a man made lake, so very simple, but rather large with a slow flow through the centre of the lake. Me and my bro will be fishing it, so i think i'll try loads of diffrent methods most days, and early morning to late night fishing. Just a thought, how deep would they feed of hook bait, gunna get some maggots and some stickymag, and feed up a swim near the flow. But im not sure on depth, so i'll plum it, but roughly, how far down?
              Gone Fishing!

Comment

also, can anyone suggest me a box of spinners, and float flys and spoons all in one with a box on amazon please? nice and cheap, although we do have a £40 amazon voucher, i dont really want to spend that, thinking £10 to £15?
                Gone Fishing!

Comment

would this work...?
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brytec-fishi...786392&sr=8-23
                  Gone Fishing!

Comment

As mentioned the mepps spinner is a top spinner/lure,the lure set on the link, looks as though there's a few spoons in and not something i've used a lot,always used spinners. With regards to depth, see if there rising to fly when your there,if so there prob feeding near the top,if not i would try down the middle,if thats where the steady flow is,trout will sit in/near the flow and look to pick up food that comes down

Comment

Thanks, sorry for late reply. Just ordered these... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fladen-Set-S...5031251&sr=8-1

Thought id give them a try. My Granddad and Uncle own the lake, and my Cousin has fly fished it before with no luck, he said hes seen them jumping last year, but none this year when trying to catch. He hasnt evere caught anything out of it from fly fishing ( i think hes only tryed fly fishing it) and hasnt seen them jumping this year. So i think im going to try maggot and the spinners and see what happen. Does anyone know how to tie spinners to the line, is it the normal hook tie or pole tie?

Cheers
                      Mike
                      Gone Fishing!

Comment

Grinner knot is simple and very strong. Trout will only chase a spinner if there's a supply of small bait fish like minnows to feed on. Maggots will be best bet

Comment

thanks, will try loads of things, gunna get some salmon eggs aswell see what happens :P
                          Gone Fishing!

Comment

Your wasting your time and money with the eggs just take plenty of maggots

Comment

Hi, tryed fishing it, and sadly no catching, plenty of them jumping, but still no catching! apparently only 1 person has caught out of the lake :L
                              Gone Fishing!

Comment

Working...
                              X