Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Old Flavour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Flavour

Thirty years ago or more,i sent of to a bloke a fiver for a pink powder in a bottle called Derek Bryant match mix booster,it was a sweet smelling powder that you added to brown or white crumb it was very highly concentrated just 1 tea spoon to 1kg of crumb, skimmers went daft for it,so much so i won lots of matches, the chaps on down wind pegs always asked what i was using, This mix booster as it was called could not be bought in the tackle shops as far as i know, and at that time none of the other lads in the club used it. It was so good i ended up buying more bottles becouse it trully did make a differance. I tryed it out on many waters but it only seemed to work well on waters that had skimmers and boy did it work while other guys would have nets of roach, perch, tench ,with the odd skimmer my net would be full of skimmers I had a spell out of fishing for about six years after that time and lost track,now when i am in a tackle shop i am looking and smelling all the flavours and additives to see if any smell like that one, it is a smell i will never forget and i can honestly say the one that comes close to it is mainline CELL but that is a carp additive that catches a lot of carp maybe the skimmers dont get a sniff anymore, all good memories.

Mainline Cell works well for bream/skimmers and tench,as well as carp.caught plenty of bream using Cell.

Comment

'Derek Bryant Mix' came out in the early 80's, from what I can recall he had to stop selling it as he was basically repackaging a product called 'Sharneyford Supplies Redcap' which he bought in bulk from them before sticking his own labels on. It smelt like bubblegum and it did attract the skimmers. Another one I used a lot back in the day mixed with brown crumb was Sensas Picardie, came in a white paper bag and smelt of cloves, a great roach and gudgeon attractor!

Comment

Originally posted by macca63 View Post
        'Derek Bryant Mix' came out in the early 80's, from what I can recall he had to stop selling it as he was basically repackaging a product called 'Sharneyford Supplies Redcap' which he bought in bulk from them before sticking his own labels on. It smelt like bubblegum and it did attract the skimmers. Another one I used a lot back in the day mixed with brown crumb was Sensas Picardie, came in a white paper bag and smelt of cloves, a great roach and gudgeon attractor!
        Archie braddock did several additives.One smelt of cloves and that was excellent for gudgeon.He also had a skimmer mix that was good.The last time I saw an additive that was pink was made by sensas,one successful canal angler swore by it for skimmers.On the subject of skimmers,years ago one angler[I wont mention his name]had an exceptional record at earlswood[near Birmingham].Different rumours went around about his groundbait containing this and that,pig s**t being mentioned.Not sure if it turned out to be fish meal or bone meal and blood as it was then,at the time not many anglers had heard off the stuff.I could get bone meal and blood from a local pet shop,but it become banned due to the EEC, supposedly containing something that was banned.I had some excellent days using it,but it burnt your hands whilst mixing so needed to be used in moderation.Baitex black was another good mix,that used to burn the hands whilst mixing,i asked the question whether it contained dried blood,but was told No,i often wonder what it actually contained.If anyone knows then any info would be much obliged.

Comment

Originally posted by macca63 View Post
          Archie braddock did several additives.One smelt of cloves and that was excellent for gudgeon.He also had a skimmer mix that was good.The last time I saw an additive that was pink was made by sensas,one successful canal angler swore by it for skimmers.On the subject of skimmers,years ago one angler[I wont mention his name]had an exceptional record at earlswood[near Birmingham].Different rumours went around about his groundbait containing this and that,pig s**t being mentioned.Not sure if it turned out to be fish meal or bone meal and blood as it was then,at the time not many anglers had heard off the stuff.I could get bone meal and blood from a local pet shop,but it become banned due to the EEC, supposedly containing something that was banned.I had some excellent days using it,but it burnt your hands whilst mixing so needed to be used in moderation.Baitex black was another good mix,that used to burn the hands whilst mixing,i asked the question whether it contained dried blood,but was told No,i often wonder what it actually contained.If anyone knows then any info would be much obliged.

Comment

I remember that redcap stuff, it was marketed as a potent fish catching secret formula. It was expensive too. I saved up my pocket money for weeks to buy some. I never caught a thing using it!

Comment

Thanks lads all those flavours worked well the sensas Picardie i used on the canal for the gudgeon it had a sort of curry smell to it. The smell was on your hands for days, just like the new brand stinkystuff. Your right about the Derek Bryant match mix booster macca63 it did smell like bubblegum and it did work so well for skimmers my mate in those days used it as well and we put it to the test many a time and every time it was used on our club water it won. The club even had a meeting and accused us of using bloodworm, wich was banned , nothing changes, Thanks all for taking the time to reply im off to tackle shop now to look for an other smelly, To be fair theres plenty to go at these days

Comment

Working...
              X