Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

First outing of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First outing of the year

First session of 2014 for me today. Knockup match with some mates. Was very careful to fish light and feed very little. Tried several methods all to no avail other than a few silvers. Half hour from the end decided to start dismantling my top kits so put an 8mm pellet on the bomb rod cast in and cattied three full pouches of 6mm's with a view to leaving it until the end. What happened next? You've guessed it, rod nearly rips off rest and a 4lb carp enters the keepnet. Same again, hardly get the rod on the rest same result.

So much for fishing light and feeding steady!!!!!

Thats fishing.

Hi Tony.

At least you caught mate, did you give any of them floats a try out.

I went on our local pond yesterday, got taught a lesson from my 11 year old, both fished a small cage feeder, he had 15 fish , i had 6, just goes to show if they are there you will catch, or i am getting worse at fishing, should have put my coat on , and gone home.

All the best steve.

Comment

I always chuck out a bomb or feeder to start with.

Comment

Steve, yes I used the 0.4 diamonds for fishing on the deck at about 5' deep, had some silvers. Also had a few looks down the margin with the red and again had a few silvers.

Fordy believe me I started on the method and had loads of liners. Swapped to the 6mm bomb and pellet nothing. Then tried cage feeder with dead red and nothing. And so on and so on. It was only when I went bigger pellet and heavy feed that I got a response. Which surprised me considering the time of year and water temp.

Comment

[QUOTE=TonyP;406977]First session of 2014 for me today. Knockup match with some mates. QUOTE]

You been In hibernation Tony or just a fair weather angler lol. You picked a good day to go out gorgeous in the sunshine once the temp picked up from the early frost. You did it right mate, taken a break when it's been crap and now you've recharged the batteries can look forward to spring and summer and Sept of course. See you at Larford m8.

Comment

Like you say tony, sometimes they want a bigger pellet. After all the energy used to eat the bait must be less than the energy the bait offers otherwise there would be a nutritional deficit and fish would starve. If you think about it logically there must be an instinctive knowledge or a sort of cost/benefit analysis that a fish does before deciding whether or not to feed.

Comment

Hi Roy how are mate? Took a break this winter as I have loads of matches booked for this season, today was the first of 50 booked so far but because I took four months off I have really looked forward to getting started. Can't wait to meet up again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyP View Post
                Hi Roy how are mate? Took a break this winter as I have loads of matches booked for this season, today was the first of 50 booked so far but because I took four months off I have really looked forward to getting started. Can't wait to meet up again in September.
                Tony it must have felt like June 16th.......happy days.
                Yeah I look forward to doing battle with you again peg to peg, if my memory serves me correct, isn't it 1 each lol. 50 matches booked, that's what I call good planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Abramis Brama View Post
                  Tony it must have felt like June 16th.......happy days.
                  Yeah I look forward to doing battle with you again peg to peg, if my memory serves me correct, isn't it 1 each lol. 50 matches booked, that's what I call good planning.
                  Yes mate all square from last year and would be very happy to be pegged next to a true gent again this year

Comment

Originally posted by TonyP View Post
                    Yes mate all square from last year and would be very happy to be pegged next to a true gent again this year
                    Nice one Tony - ditto,ditto.

Comment

I havnt had a break this year, some days I have had to feed like the middle of summer to keep the bites coming, ive had quite a few tench as well as bream, roach and perch and a few carp

Comment

Working...
                      X