Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Paste float shotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paste float shotting

Hi. Can anyone explain to me why shot is required on a paste float for pole? I was originally told no shot at all, just the weight of the paste I have visited a lot of advice pages on the net, and they all tell a different story? I have new paste floats 0.4g, now the normal shotting for this size float would be 6x no 8s, surely i wouldnt need to put all this weight on, would i ??
    To my thinking, the paste takes it to bottom, when paste comes off, float comes to surface (correct ?) so why use any weight at all?? Totally confused! if anyone can explain, i would really appreciate it.Thanks

I either use weighted floats or put enough shot on the line to bring the float down to to just underneath where the bristle starts. Any shot on the line must go right under the float stem so as not to pull the hook out of the paste on the drop. The reason you need some weight on the line is to either totally prevent or vastly reduce the chance of the hook being pulled out of the bait by the buoyancy of the float.

Comment

Originally posted by coarse+carp View Post
      Hi. Can anyone explain to me why shot is required on a paste float for pole? I was originally told no shot at all, just the weight of the paste I have visited a lot of advice pages on the net, and they all tell a different story? I have new paste floats 0.4g, now the normal shotting for this size float would be 6x no 8s, surely i wouldnt need to put all this weight on, would i ??
      To my thinking, the paste takes it to bottom, when paste comes off, float comes to surface (correct ?) so why use any weight at all?? Totally confused! if anyone can explain, i would really appreciate it.Thanks

Hi coarse+carp

I use shotted floats in open water and my reasons for this are, 1, consider deep of water and undertow, it makes the rig more stable. if you were fishing small pieces of paste in any depth of water and that lake suffered with undertow problems, then that small bit of paste could move or even come off of the hook. When you shot up your selected float, shot it to the top of the body and leave all the bristle showing and use this float bristle as your indicator, You can have it all showing or just a few mill. if the paste comes off of the hook the float tip will rise, but it can be a lift bite. I place my bulk shot from mid depth to inches away from the hook, play around and experiment.

Lower the paste into the water. if the bulk shot proceeds the paste when it is falling you could pull the hook out of the paste. Bites are usually very violent. If you fish a short line to float and the bites are violent, the fish tend to hook them self.

Down the edge i opt for self cocking floats or no shot.

Hope this helps.

Regards Steve
      Last edited by carpysteve; 20 March 2014, 09:45 PM.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Vespe 6mm Side Puller Bushes

Comment

Thanks lads. Think i get it now. So i shot it just as i would normally

Comment

I would never shot a paste float like a normal rig, like I said if I use shot I put it just at the bottom of the stem. Everybody does it their own way though, take into account that the waters I fish are rarely over 5ft deep so undertow isn't a big problem with the weight of the paste grounding the rig.

Comment

Fishing with Paste, an indepth discussion by Fred Davis
            HAPPY TOTTERINGHAMS DAY 15/5/2016

Comment

http://www.garbolinouk.co.uk/media/pdfs/What_Rig_.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X