Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

A frightening experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A frightening experience

Hi all. I went to a lake a few days ago just to have a nice day. It has easy access for disabled and i had not been there before. I wont say where, because i dont think it fair on the owners. Anyway, when i got there, two young men were casting away, so as you do, i asked "any good?" they told me to go away! in no uncertain terms! I did and toddled off to opposite bank. Watching them, i saw them putting Carp in their seat box? I got quite angry and although i am 61 and disabled, i confronted them. I asked what the hell do they think they were doing? they told me "Polski"! we eat!. Well my blood curled! i told them i would call the police, they snatched my phone and smashed it! i was so scared. Police are looking into it. But i ask you, is this right for England today? i am now thinking of giving up fishing after 46 years as it seems too dangerous now. Tight lines everyone, hope it doesnt happen to you.

Dont let these Morons stop you from Fishing my freind
    fish venues that are either very popular or adequately Baillifed
    If you dont feel safe dont approach them yourself but quietly ring either the Ballif or the Police & let them deal with it.
    i am 60 but god help people like these as i would certainly not be intimidated
    there would be more than a damaged phone on the Bank
    Colin

Comment

As Col says, don't give up because of these scumbags. In answer to your question - no, of course it's not right, so you did the right thing involving the police. Some people say these Eastern Europeans need educating that in the uk we don't take coarse fish for eating, especially on commercial venues where the rules specifically forbid fish being taken. But in this and a lot of other cases, the problem isn't that they don't know the rules, it's that they don't give a flying monkey's about the rules and will resort to violence if challenged. Which is why they should feel the full force of the long arm of the law.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
        Dont let these Morons stop you from Fishing my freind
        fish venues that are either very popular or adequately Baillifed
        If you dont feel safe dont approach them yourself but quietly ring either the Ballif or the Police & let them deal with it.
        i am 60 but god help people like these as i would certainly not be intimidated
        there would be more than a damaged phone on the Bank
        Thank you guys for the support. I normally go with a friend, but on this occasion he had to work. It was scary and im now phoneless. I love fishing, as its about all i can do these days, so i will take your advice and look for waters a bit safer, if there are any? Tight lines

Comment

Sorry to hear about your ordeal mate. I hope you don't choose to give up fishing because of it though mate. I think fishermen in the UK are often unfair on Polish fishermen, yes there are some who take fish from commercials but it is the minority. I've fished a few ponds where Poles fish in the matches regularly and having talked to a few of them they were all very friendly to me and well respected on the lakes they fished. It's a cultural thing and because fish farmers in the UK aren't willing to sell fish for the table some resort to illegal activities but like I say it is a minority. One thing i've noticed is that the poles who fish in matches and are respected at fisheries have often been in the country a little bit longer and have had the chance to adapt and evolve there way of life.

The human race are a stubborn lot, most people oppose change very strongly even on issues like gay marriage for example which shouldn't really be opposed at all imo because it is totally reasonable and fair. Naturally, a person who comes to the UK from a country anywhere else in the world will need some time to adapt to a unique culture which can be a big ask, but if we all try to accept them with open arms then they will feel welcomed and part of the group so to speak.

I'd just like to say that I in no way feel what you went through is fair or just and you were right to get the police involved. Let's not forget that there are people from the UK who steal fish too so we should avoid condemning a nation of people for the actions of a few.

Comment

Originally posted by spickup79 View Post
            As Col says, don't give up because of these scumbags. In answer to your question - no, of course it's not right, so you did the right thing involving the police. Some people say these Eastern Europeans need educating that in the uk we don't take coarse fish for eating, especially on commercial venues where the rules specifically forbid fish being taken. But in this and a lot of other cases, the problem isn't that they don't know the rules, it's that they don't give a flying monkey's about the rules and will resort to violence if challenged. Which is why they should feel the full force of the long arm of the law.
            Or Better still the Full Force of my Baseball Bat LOL
            Colin

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. If my other friend had been with me, who has a heart condition, we could be dealing with something a lot more serious than a broken phone! I am hoping the police will catch them, i am so angry, to think these people can be so nasty to someone who they see can not look after themselves. I am not blaming all foreigners, but if they cannot comply with our way of life, then they should not be here! Sorry if that sounds harsh, but i am very angry at the moment. Cheers all

Comment

They're cowardly bullies mate, bet they wouldn't have said a word to you if you'd been 25 and built like a tank. They probably saw you as an easy target though cos you're disabled - that's the lowest of the low as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with what Fordy says though - it's not fair to tarnish all foreigners with the same brush. But it's a sad fact that a significant number do know the rules but just don't care.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X