Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Shy carp on the pellet waggler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shy carp on the pellet waggler

The carp in our pool are very hard to catch on the pellet waggler.
    Becouse of the low stock level there only appears to be a maximum of 4 to 5 carp on or near the surface around the feed area at one time.
    If I catapult a few floating pellets out [expanders] they eat every one, every time, but not the one with my hook in.
    I have tryed floating baits and the carp shy away, getting them to take a pellet under the surface on the wag is very difficult, might catch one mug in 2 hours pellet fishing, feeding 3 to 5 feed pellets each cast.
    The carp average 6 to 12lbs, I use a 6lbs main line with a 5lbs size 16 or 18 hook length and fish from 12ins to 3ft deep.
    Is there anything I can try to improve my catch rate, and fool these shy sly carp that refuse to take a pellet with a hook attached.
    Thanks all.

Are you feeding expanders or sinking feed pellets when you're fishing a sinking pellet on the hook? I assume it's sinking pellets, in which case maybe try feeding a bit heavier to increase competition and force them to follow some of the pellets down a foot or two - then they're more likely to make a mistake and take your hook bait. Plus your float won't be as visible to them so they should be more confident. Also do you feed dry pellets? If so try wetting them briefly so they sink straight away - dry pellets float for a good few seconds before they've absorbed enough water to break the surface tension. Good luck mate.
    Steve

Comment

I think the problem is there isn't enough fish up in the water.
      So they don't need to compete and attack the banded pellet and the only ones you catch is when you land it on there noses you could try a glug or rub spam on the pellet or feed really heavy nothing to loose except a few pellets
      or fish with a bomb and alternate to try and find them

Comment

I try to follow Steve Ringers method. Feed two or three sinking pellets, wetted/oiled as is your preference, cast beyond the feed. Feed again just short of the float. Twitch the float into the feed area and then feed again. No bite repeat the process. Start at 2' deep and adjust depth if needed. Also try a red pellet on the hook. Generally waggler will work best when the fish are competing. If you have a smaller number of bigger and wiser fish then you may have be cuter. I use 6lb main line and up to 9lb hooklength with size 16 hook for 8mm pellets.

Comment

Lighter reel line, 3 or 4lb Maxima and lighter floats and never feed over the float!

Comment

Your all barking up the wrong tree except Nathan. There is never a need to feed more than 4 or 5 pellets at a time and often feeding just 1 at a time will get you the results you want. What size pellet are you feeding and can you see fish most of the time when you start feeding? How deep is it where you are feeding? Shallow waters respond very differently to deep waters. You have to get your set up just right to trick the fish in to taking your bait, they ain't stupid so you have to out wit them

Comment

Sorry tony didn't read your post, very good info for you there.

Comment

Hi Frisky Fish
                I feed 6mm sinking pellets, the carp move to the pellets when conditions are right and start feeding, but move away and return after a few mins.
                They can be seen on or just under the surface,the ones that show only in groups of 2 to 5 [I think there are more that dont show though]
                The water is 14ft deep at 25- 30 mtr out, I have fished closer but no joy, the fish stay at that range
                Brilliant comments lads, must have a go next time, my first move will be lighter line.[Forgot to mention the water is coloured]
                Thanks again

Comment

Hi, In that depth of water, I would start at 5 foot with an 8mm banded pellet. Its true to get them to be competitive as Steve Ringer states fed 3 to 5 pellets. But if your struggling feed upto 10 pellets at that depth and get the ones which are not at the service. Its only spring at the moment and the water is not that warm, for them to be in the top 12 inches. Be different it sometimes works. All the best, whatever you decide.

Comment

Have u tried wrapping soldering wire around the base of the float just enough to sink it very slowly set the rig at 2ft, then feed cast past feed area feed again bring the float into feed area then pinch the line between your fingers and count how long it takes to hit the bottom or get a bite if it is 14ft and takes 28 seconds to hit the deck then the float is falling at 1ft every 2 secs, when u get a bite at say 12 secs then the fish are at 7ft remove the float via an adapter add a weighted waggler set to 7ft this is deadly on deep venues also try a bright white pellet or whittled down boilie to the shape of a pellet also a dark pellet works as a contrasting bait. Some times the slow falling waggler will out score the standard approach or other than that a zig rig could work again with a bright white boilie @ 2 ft. Just keep trying different methods the fish very rarely want it one way all day

Ducci
                    Last edited by Ducci82; 10 May 2014, 09:31 PM. Reason: Typo
                    " if a dogs born in a stable, does it make it a horse? Aye up ducky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frisky Fish View Post
                      Your all barking up the wrong tree except Nathan. There is never a need to feed more than 4 or 5 pellets at a time and often feeding just 1 at a time will get you the results you want. What size pellet are you feeding and can you see fish most of the time when you start feeding? How deep is it where you are feeding? Shallow waters respond very differently to deep waters. You have to get your set up just right to trick the fish in to taking your bait, they ain't stupid so you have to out wit them
                      When I said feed heavier I meant feed the same number of pellets more frequently! Ideally should feed two or three times per cast, not once as suggested in the OP!

If you can see the fish taking the bait they must be right on or near the surface so they'll be able to see the float and other end tackle too and will shy away from any pellet anywhere near it. As Frisky said they're not stupid.
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NathanWatson View Post
                        Lighter reel line, 3 or 4lb Maxima and lighter floats and never feed over the float!
                        Interesting that Nathan. Try to use the lightest float I can get away with but will try the lighter line as well. Used 6lb because pellet wag fish tend to be lumps.

Comment

Very good info coming through now to get you catching. Sorry for the misunderstanding spickup I read to say feed heavy as in fill it in!

Comment

Working...
                          X