Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Carp in the reeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carp in the reeds

I am going to fish our club snake lake, later this week on the method for carp.
    On the far bank are large clumps of Norfolk reed, I have been told that there are, a great number of carp that get in amongst the reeds, as I have seen for myself, as I watched two anglers lose fish after fish.
    They used the pole at 14mtr lowering there floats In amongst the reed [it was very windy so this did not help the situation]
    I want to try the method feeder, would it be best to target the area in front of the reeds, this would put my feeder bottom of the shelf in 5ft deep water or would It be better dropping the feeder onto the area at the side of the reed bed that is on top of the shelf in 18ins to 24ins of water.
    My thoughts are on first getting a bite and then fish loss
    Any ideas on this one , what do you think would be best,
    Thanks all.

Bottom of shelf is probably not much use to you mate if the fish are in amongst the reeds. Accurately casting in between them would be my view but you need to be geared up for the fight.

Comment

14mtr is very short for a method chuck IMO and constant landing of a method feeder on their heads will only spook em. Best gear up for them and drag em out.
      As soon as you lift the pole throw it behind you in one motion and they should follow the pole before they realise they are hooked, if you lift and hold the pole above their heads they will bury in an instant.
      Use a very short line between pole tip and float, i find an inline float best for this situation and once in open water they are as good as in the net, watch your feeding because to many in the peg you will foul hook them. Try a big spot bait like corn or meat with very little feed and fish for one at a time you DONT want a load of carp in a small area.
      On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Great advice mate!!
        Amazes me how much bait people chuck @ them in that situation
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
          14mtr is very short for a method chuck IMO and constant landing of a method feeder on their heads will only spook em. Best gear up for them and drag em out.
          As soon as you lift the pole throw it behind you in one motion and they should follow the pole before they realise they are hooked, if you lift and hold the pole above their heads they will bury in an instant.
          Use a very short line between pole tip and float, i find an inline float best for this situation and once in open water they are as good as in the net, watch your feeding because to many in the peg you will foul hook them. Try a big spot bait like corn or meat with very little feed and fish for one at a time you DONT want a load of carp in a small area.
          Very true roomie.

Comment

Another option is to fish up in the water against the reeds (if you can fish the pole)

9-10 times when on the deck, by the time an indication is seen, the pole lifted, and the elastic starts coming out the fish are already up the back of the reeds.

If you fish half depth or off deck, sometimes the fish seem disorientated when hooked and can swim away from reed.

Comment

Working...
            X