Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Hook pulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook pulls

My mate lost 50% of his carp on the method feeder, the other day,7 out of 14 @ 5 to 10 lbs fish .
    He plays the fish to net range, but then the hook pops out, he changed from a 18 to a 16, then tried a size 12 and still lost fish, all the hooks are Guru 4" with banded 6mm pellet,on a hair. Preston inline method feeder on 8lbs mono,
    The rod is a 11ft drennan feeder .
    Was it just one of those fishing days, or is there a tackle problem, I have noticed he does keep the rod high all the time!!
    I myself had less fish but no lost fish, I use a preston elasticated method feeder, could this be his problem ?
    What are your thoughts on this, as this is becoming a regular thing , Why is the hook coming out? I know they are barbless hooks, and that he is not giving any slack line at all.
    We can not understand what is going on, but I know something is not right somewhere,could it be the fish are not taking the bait properly?
    Any answers welcome thank you.

If he is not using a fixed feeder (or the fishery doesn't allow them), sometimes the feeder can "bounce" on the line which can cause the hook to come out

Comment

A stiff rod can cause lost fish, or perhaps slacken the clutch a bit.
      I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
      He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

As Jim says that could well the case,try getting hold of some c-lock feeders from maver,very clever bit of kit,the design of them eliminates the bounce as the feeder locks on the line under pressure..
        OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

As i was just about to say The Pulls are more than likely caused by Method Bounce
          This can act like a discorger
          Best ways to eliminate are Elasticate feeders where allowed
          Increase Hook lengths from 4 to up to 8 " can help but not Gauranteed !
          or Have a look @ the Maver Feeder that locks on the line when under pressure these do help
          Colin

Comment

Like waiting for a Bus !!
            Nothing then 3 come @ once !!
            Colin

Comment

Thanks lads,
              My thoughts are that Its a feeder problem, as you say Col , I can imagine now you have said, the feeder bouncing up and down the line when the carp flicks its head, and bangs the hook out.

The club have no ban on feeders, so he can use a elasticated one as I do ,but he does not like them , but I will mention the Maver feeder to him. maybe as you say Jethro stiff rod and tight clutch are not helping the situation , anyway thanks again he now has something positive to go on.
              Next time out we might see a smile on his face, when he wins the match with no lost fish at the net

Comment

Funny how we have our own thoughts.
                I have recently gone over to a stiffer rod for method fishing, i find casting is more accurate as the rod doesn't buckle under the pressure of the cast. I use an old Daiwa Harrier 11-13ft feeder rod at the 11ft length and my casting is much more accurate and the feeder lands with a better plop.
                This is used with a Guru method feeder with the elastic changed to white hydro and i suffer very few fish losses. I keep the rod very low to the water and only pick it up when i am ready to net the fish. For an inline feeder i use a bit softer rod in the Milo Helios which is a great feeder system and can be adapted to suit stiffness.
                On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

How did the LEGEND Ivan Marks ever cast those swingtip rods accurate ,
                  tried one once got in a right state

Comment

Originally posted by line View Post
                    How did the LEGEND Ivan Marks ever cast those swingtip rods accurate ,
                    tried one once got in a right state
                    Dead easy when you get the set up and technique right mate.
                    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

I put the method feeder on the line and push it up then tie a 6 inch loop to which a link swivel is attached so I can change the hook length. I leave a decent bit of a tag on the loop I find when the feeder goes up the line it gets caught there and does not bang down on the swivel so hard. I have gone to a softer rod than what I used to use, I also keep the rod very low and only lift to net. All my methods are preston or fox inline ones elasticated ones are banned on the waters I fish. I will see if I can pick up some of those maver ones to try if I see them.

Comment

I had a middy rod which I bought for method feeder fishing. Handled heavy lines and feeders and cast very well. The only thing it didn't do was land fish very we'll suffered loads of hook pulls at the net. Switched to a Beastmaster 9-11 light feeder rod and bingo the fish are in the net. Doesn't cast just as well but it's very much at home on commercials with a medium distance chuck or less

Comment

Working...
                        X