Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

which hooks???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which hooks???

Hi guys looking for some input on hooks need to find a good all round hook that is strong and stays sharp for a reasonable amount of time,using PR27 and PR36 at moment, good hooks but i am finding that they go blunt after a couple of fish, Opinions please.

Regards Wiggy

I'd be very surprised if the points on the PR36 are going blunt after a couple of fish, I use the PR36 and PR38 hooks for most of my fishing with eyed hooks and haven't had any problems with them even when fishing for large barbel from snaggy swims. I've never used the PR27 so can't comment on them. For alternatives you could look at the MWG hook from from frenzee for feeder fishing and the frenzee pellet waggler hook, the matrix hooks are also good. A lot of people will probably recommend the frenzee circle hooks, I have had a lot of problems with these in the past when i've used them. The main problem I had with them was the point turning over incredibly easily and hook holds on carp and barbel of a decent size.

Comment

Hi wiggy

I assume its for the method/bomb, if so the Drennan feeder hooks or tubertini 861 or 911's

Regards Steve
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Vespe 6mm Side Puller Bushes

Comment

Hi fordy thanks for that, maybe exaggerating a little but usually find have to replace the hook at least once a match, just wondering if the point is being turned when the fish are struggling in the landing net, just lately i'm finding the hook is going through and ending up in the net suppose that could be causing it ??

Comment

Hi Steve thanks for input i do use them for method/bomb but also us PR36 for general use i find that the kick on the eye lets the hook hang just right

Comment

If your catching well I wouldn't be surprised if you had to discard one or two hooks every session, they are not designed for longevity, they are designed to be effective at hooking. Every hook manufacturer must compromise between sharpness and durability in order to make a good hook and like I said in my earlier post, I use the PR36 and PR38 shapes because I feel preston have got the compromise about right.

Comment

Tubertini 861's are the best eyed hair rig hooks out there imo, but very hard to come by at the moment.
              Great for pellet wag, method and all hair rig work.
              Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
              Alwight tweacle?

Comment

i have always found that the PR hooks in most patterns suffer from going Blunt or point Dropping off
                Iknow many swear by them but personaly i would never use them
                At the moment i use B911s for most of my commercial fishing up to size 16s they are possibly the most popular Patter used @ the moment.
                i Find that the 14s tend to Spring open under pressure
                For Larger Pellet 8 or 10 mm expanders i like B611 they work well for me
                Colin

Comment

Why not try Guru hooks, Mr Ringer never seems to have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by paul k View Post
                    Tubertini 861's are the best eyed hair rig hooks out there imo, but very hard to come by at the moment.
                    Great for pellet wag, method and all hair rig work.
                    Have been told there are non of these in the country at the mo...
                    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Try using GURU MWG'S and QM1'S top quallity hooks,as are all the GURU range.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
                        Have been told there are non of these in the country at the mo...
                        That's because I have them all Dave.

The factory was destroyed, due to the earthquake in Japan .

Regards Steve
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Vespe 6mm Side Puller Bushes

Comment

Guru MWG, Preston hooks are the worst I've ever used!

Comment

Originally posted by carpysteve View Post
                            That's because I have them all Dave.

The factory was destroyed, due to the earthquake in Japan .

Regards Steve
                            That true steve?
                            Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
                            Alwight tweacle?

Comment

I use Kamasan B911 hooks, barbless wide-gape.

Comment

Working...
                              X