Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Caught my first carp today (TWO OF THEM!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught my first carp today (TWO OF THEM!)

Hey guys,

I was going to do a separate introduction thread, but I figured I may as well do it here while I am posting something interesting. Despite being 27 I am pretty new to fishing, around a year or so ago I got some very cheap holiday fishing kit and went with (an experienced) friend fishing for the first time, it's something I always wanted to do but never got around to actually doing it. I absolutely loved it, we got up very early, he helped me set up my kit, we got a brew on and made some breakfast on a gas cooker, beautiful scenery, we talked, laughed, caught a few roach and perch and it was brilliant. Since then I've been "hooked", got some new kit and more importantly understand it and why it's relevant. I enjoy looking into the species of fish and how they live, and have a specific target fish in mind etc. I like doing it on the float and can't see me changing my tactics anytime soon for various reasons...anyway - up until today, I've not actually caught much but me and my girlfriend went to Pilsworth and I caught two small carp! (first time I ever caught one)

I spent a good 20 mins or so setting up my kit, partly because I am in-experienced and partly because I wanted to get it right, mainly plummet the depth properly and ensure my wraggler and shot was working as intended for this specific margin I had in mind. Anyhow, after 5 minuted I had a HUGE beast on my line, it must have been 16 lbs+! (and I was only on light kit) I was crapping myself, yet was excited at the same time. I knew I had to work and tire the fish otherwise it would break my line, which unfortunately it did after 5 mins, but at least it was only my hook length. My gf was shocked too, so I thought "this is going to be a good day". After that I had a few misses and had my bait stolen a few times (good for fishy bad for me) and after ~ 20 mins BOOM! another on the line, it felt significantly lighter but it was still fighting hard (hardest fish I had to fight) I played it for a min or so and landed it, I was like OMG MY FIRST CARP! (I think I shouted and scared all the other fish away). It was a beautiful young Mirror carp around 5/6 lbs I would say. The hook was lodged in there a bit, so it took a bit longer than I wanted to get it out, but I did and no harm to the fish. But because of that the gf only managed to get a distance pic of my unhooking it before I had to put him back in. I was ecstatic, I just was gutted because I didn't get a good picture of the beauty, ah well.

I thought, well, maybe I will get a Tench soon then (another fish I have never caught but want to). About 2 hours go by with a nibble here and there, and BOOM! another fish, didn't fight as well as the previous one, and when I put it in the net, because of it's colour I thought it was a Tench, but after closer inspection it was a (beautiful leather carp) around 3/4lbs I'd say. I didn't catch after that, but what a day, really happy, some pictures below:

Foxy

fantastic. keep at it.

Comment

Now that's what you call a first post,superb...
      OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

Well done mate, that looks a lovely water. Where is it ?
        On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
          Well done mate, that looks a lovely water. Where is it ?
          One of the small ponds in Pilsworth fishery, not a bad place - just a lot of litter everywhere.
          Foxy

Comment

What a great first post on here! Glad you're enjoying your fishing.

Comment

Well done and welcome to the forum mate!!

Comment

I have been on here ages mate
                almost 7000 posts & i havent got a clue how to put a post like that on here
                Brilliant .
                welcome to T/A
                Colin

Comment

Great post mate, really enjoyed reading that. Captures the essence of what angling should be all about. The enjoyment aspect is sadly lost all too often these days IMO, especially in the world of match angling. Welcome to TA mate. I look forward to hearing more about your angling adventures soon.
                  Steve

Comment

well done pal, and welcome to the site. Great post, pity there ain't a few more like it !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That is what it is all about, no pettiness, no my pole is longer than yours. Just a Honest guy enjoying his new hobby with his girl. Brilliant, and welcome to the forum.
                      Home and Garden Trading LTD

Comment

Cheers guys, looking forward to my next fishing trip - I will post about it
                        Foxy

Comment

Working...
                        X