Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Absolute beginner needs some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute beginner needs some advice...

I hope I have posted this in the correct place...

As I said in my introduction (HERE) I am an absolute beginner and now after a week of online study I am an expert! I have seen the Matt Hayes Videos... I now understand that to be a good fisherman I have to go and buy the most expensive clothing, and the correct colour rod with matching real...

All joking aside, from nothing the stuff I have been reading/watching has answered some of my very basic questions and I think I could manage to get the rod 'tackled up' (is that the correct terminology?) to do a spot of float fishing, which is where I would like to start.

I now need to go and buy some gear. This is where I really could do with some advise. Somebody said I should start with a 'starter set'. This sound reasonable to me as I have absolutely nothing in the way of kit. But is this really the best way to go. Although I do not want to spend a fortune, I am not averse to spending a little bit more than these sets seem to be price at. Can a set like THIS one from Argos really do what I want it to or would I be better spending a bit more money. If so what brands should I be looking at?

I have compiled a list of the basic stuff I think I need as follows:

Rod 13ft (? ) - no idea what to buy
    Reel - again, no idea what to buy
    Selection of floats
    Split shot
    Thing for releasing the hook from the fish (de-gouger?)
    Pre-tied hooks with 3.5lb
    4lb Fishing line
    A landing net
    A keep net (maybe?)
    an unhooking mat
    Plummet
    tackle box

What do you think? Is this about right? Any advise on rod and reel would be appreciated. Is there anything else, other than bait, that I will need?

Ralph
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My blog: http://notinmyfridge.blogspot.co.uk

Ralph.
    Go to your local angling shop with your budget and an idea of what fisheries you want to fish.
    I'm sure they will sort you out good and proper. If you lived up here i would gladly go with you but London is a bit far...
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ron-thom...g-3sec-p270537
      http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/okuma-ca...o-line-p197337
      This combination would suit a newcomer to float fishing,its not going to cover every situation but will do for most and certainly wont break the bank.
      The rest of the items you mention sound about right but the keepnet may not be too useful to start with,your best starting place will be day ticket commercial fisheries who generaly don't allow keepnets except on matches also remember most venues insist on barbless hooks and many have a maximum size limit.
      I would also leave the unhooking mat till later as they are not essential other than for larger specimens or when no soft surface(grass) can be found.
      You will also need a rodrest or two and something to sit on.
      As already mentioned its a pity you are not closer or I would be happy to accompany you to a tackle shop and take you for a day on a water that would ensure a few fish to get you started.
      Hope this helps.
      Regards Peter.
      Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have taken up Peter's suggestion and ordered the Match Rod and Real. I have also bought a a set they were selling on a special for £88.00 from Argos that I will collect tomorrow. This seems to have most of what we will need to go fishing. I will investigate the tackle shop next to upgrade/top up what we have so far - The fishery I am planning to go to states in its rules that we must have unhooking mats so I will buy a couple of cheap ones in their on-site tackle and bait shop.

I am planning to pay a visit to place near where my brother lives in Kent called Bax Farm Fisheries. This looks like the sort of place that might be good for a start. It seems to be just what we need.

Ralph

Comment

Today the first of our new tackle arrived...

I was please with what we got for the money. Some of the floats look a bit cheap and cheerful but if they work that will be good enough for me. The Argos set seems exceptionally good value if like us the purchaser is starting from nothing at all.

There is a lot of stuff in this set - it was a bit lacking in split shot but that will be rectified tomorrow when I am out and about. My travels will take me down into ket so If I get time I intend to drop into the fishery we intend to frequent and give some custom to the tackle shop there...

... more pictures and the full story of our purchase can be found on our blog HERE

Ralph.

Comment

Don't forget a trip to the post office for the most important item, a rod licence.

Comment

let me know what you need mate..

ive got a box a few reels and a few rods, and some nets if you need them, free of charge..
              Im in Ealing in London, where are you ?
              im a fishing coach too , if you need a hand..

cheers

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by macfish View Post
                Don't forget a trip to the post office for the most important item, a rod licence.
                You mean one of these that came in the post today...

Only took a couple of days to come from the EA so now I can fish!

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by Terry
                  let me know what you need mate..

ive got a box a few reels and a few rods, and some nets if you need them, free of charge..
                  Im in Ealing in London, where are you ?
                  im a fishing coach too , if you need a hand..
                  Hi Terry,

That is very kind of you indeed. Thank you for the offer, but I have managed to get myself set up with enough gear to have a go, at least to start with. I am in Lewisham (borough of) - Just about as far as you can get from Ealing and still be in London! I intend to have a go first and if I do need some help I will give you a shout.

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                  X