Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Your opinions please lads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinions please lads.

Right then, here we go......

Starting to get my kit together and wanted your views on the following please lads and lassie's.
    In the carp game, we know what 'names' to steer away from and who did good tackle, bait etc so just wanted some suggestions and idea's please to help me on my way.

1. Feeder rod:
    Want to fish canals and stillwaters for roach, skimmers, bigger bream, tench etc and occasionaly on rivers for silver fish, chub etc.
    Am I better of buying 2 or 3 rods or is there a combination rod that is good and will cover all this type of angling?

2. Reels.
    What are good reels for the waggler and to go on the feeder rod/rods??

3. Mainlines and hooklengths.
    Good mainline for the waggler and feeder and hooklengths.
    Good line for the pole and pole hooklengths.

4. Hooks.
    Good hooks for:
    Pole-silver fish, skimmers etc with baits such as punch, corn, meat, maggot, pinkie etc.
    Waggler-same species, maybe with chub etc.
    Feeder- same again.
    Just some idea's will get me going along the right rod lads.

Many thanks all and a hauling new year.

Mick.
    put the kettle on........;)

1. I would say for the kind of fish your after, you could stick to a good through action rod, which has a number of changeable tips.

2. When it comes to reels i always go for abu garcia, personal preference though.

3.i dont think you can beat powerline, but people will knwo more on this than me, as im not up to date with new lines.

4.tubertini 808 are my favourite hook, again personal preference

Comment

1. Feeder rod:

Look at the Carbonactive and Shimano range. The 12ft Carbonactive feeder should cover nearly every eventuality you are looking at as its an excellent all rounder.

2. Reels.

For the Feeder you need a Shimano - NOTHING ELSE!
      Waggler look at the Diawa models.

3. Mainlines and hooklengths.
      Good mainline for the waggler and feeder and hooklengths - Maxima for the Feeder and Tubertini Float for the Waggler. Hooklengths look for Sarfix DNA (the best by far)

Good line for the pole and pole hooklengths - Sarfix DNA

4. Hooks.
      Good hooks for:
      Pole-silver fish, skimmers etc with baits such as punch, corn, meat, maggot, pinkie etc. - TUBERTINI 808's and 801's
      Waggler-same species, maybe with chub etc. KAMASAN B511
      Feeder- same again - TUBERTNI SERIES 15B

Hope this helps!
      Simon Young
      Admin
      Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
      web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Hi oneabung.Ive never heard of sarfix dna line.Is it fluorocarbon line,and whats the stretch and diameter and knot strengh like.I mainly use powerline or shinobi.
        thanks
        cornerstone.

Comment

Thanks lads.
          Anyone else got an opinion???? Keep em coming then I can see what the general opinion is.....

Mick.

Comment

Ditto to everything oneabung recommends apart from maxima. I've found that ultima power plus is better but loads still swear by maxima(bit on the thick side and absorbs water) Sarfix DNA-Excellent, as is colmic mimetix and ultima XT7 but beware..these are hi-tech pre-stretched lines. Terry Eustace pro gold is another excellent reel line if you can get hold of it.
            MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

Trouble is getting hold of the Sarfix line - its magic, the 0.10 is nearly 5lb and I swear by it... I can honestly say I have never been broken on the 0.16 which comes up at 12lb
              Simon Young
              Admin
              Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
              web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Who makes sarfix line oneabung.0.16 equating to 12lb is excellent.I have used a tubertini line thats quite expensive for 50 metres,but found it can snap on lumps.So only use it at tunnel barn or places like that .I think the 0.12 is approx 7lb breaking strain,but as i say i have been done a few times on the pole with it.I wouldnt mind trying 0.14 sarfix,that must be approx 8-10lb,worth a go.
                thanks
                cornerstone.

Comment

cornerstone, think my mate does that Sarfix line will have a word with him Sat.

Comment

Feeder Rod: Look at the maver powerlite system, just got one and well impressed
                    Reel: Shimano either Super GTM or Stradic
                    Line: mainline for reels Maxima or Matchwinner powerline for Hk links
                    Powerline for both mainline and hook lentghs on pole
                    Hooks: tubertini 808's for pole on lakes, Mustad long point wide gape power and canal seed for pole on canals, Mustad long point wide gape power barbless or 808's for feeder on lakes

Comment

Thanks Ridgeacre,ill try anything thats decent.The best info on a product is always from fellow anglers
                      To steve[stonecold],the maver powerlite is excellent.At packington most anglers use them,and have stopped using their other more expensive feeder rods.You can also use them for float fishing.Only faults are,firstly cut up the rod bag it comes in so you can slide the various sections out easily.The other that was found out this hot summer is keep the glass tips out of direct sunlight,they start to bend out of shape.
                      thanks
                      cornerstone.

Comment

all tips on Powerlite are carbon cornerstone,well mine are anyway. Wat i like bout them is the crackin parabolix action so smooth even with heaviest of tips your dead right bout the rod bags tho wat a muddle
                        You could try benwick sports for the sarfix line sure they stocking it, I'll have look next time i'm in there

Comment

Thanks lads for the suggestions.

Can I just ask what you think about Shakespeare gear, thier rods and poles in particular.

Mick.

Comment

shaky rods are very good i've owned several in the past and could't fault em.Can't coment on poles as never owned one made by them

Comment

on hooks i recommend the diawa gamaktsu hooks, you wont find a hook that stays sharp and thats so versatile as these
                              Dont click this unless you want to save money!

Comment

Working...
                              X