Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Elasticating poles- sorry but need your help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elasticating poles- sorry but need your help

Hiya lads.

I'm sure that you've done this a thousand times already but need your advice and help please.

Got the pole now and want to set the top kits up. Bearing in mind that I'll be fishing canals, the Nene and alike, stillwaters for bream, roach etc.
    So, how many top kits would I need and with what size elastics??

Am I right in thinking that you elasticate the top 2 for carp and the top 1 for lighter stuff, say size 3 elastic??? (confused).
    Is that why you buy 'match' kits and 'power' kits as the action is different??

Please help an old carp angler on his way.....
    put the kettle on........;)

Carpmadmick, You've made yourself invisible on your profile so you won't get many answers to your queries!
    John - Kingfisher
    Talk Angling Senior Member
    Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

Get hold of some latex elastic from Sensas for your silver fish. yes you just elasticate the top 1. For silvers get some of the 0.08 and 0.09 sensas and see how that goes then go heavier if need be.
      Simon Young
      Admin
      Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
      web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

If you are using a match kit this will have three sections to it, and for silvers elasticate the top two sections, the power tops are two sections that equal in length to a match top 3 and normally it pays to elasticate both sections, elastic strengths for silvers will be upto a No. 8 starting with a No.2/3 for bits on the cut No. 6 for bigger fish say up to the 1lb mark, a No 8 will handle better fish upto 3lb and with care even bigger, over that size you want to be on the power tops with elastics from No 10 to No. 16, as Oneabung has recommened pure latex is good, as you progress with the pole you might want to reduce the length of elasic used in the match kits especially in the lighter grades, alternatives to the latex are the hollow cores like hydro, or Maver dual core. The latex is a good starting point and tend to be fairly forgiving and a fair bit cheaper.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

For fish up to about 5lb I'd go for black hydro to 016 and a size 16 B911. Up to 10lb I'd go for Red hydro to .20 and a size 16 Animal eyed. For rolfs I 'd go up to .21 or even .23.

Comment

Royst Carpmadmick is looking to target fish on places like the Nene, Canals etc .23 line aint got much of a place up the cut

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Maver latex-grade 4 or 5 has terrific stretch,so one match top fitted with this should suffice for the bits on canals,and roach/skimmers on the nene.I have landed 2lb tench on canals with this set up.You then have your other tops to elasticate for carp waters.By the way i have tried other latex such as garbolino,and even coloured maver latex,and im convinced for stretchability etc that its not as good as the original uncoloured pure maver elastic.
              cornerstone

Comment

Not 'invisible' now.......???

Thanks lads, its starting to sink in now.....

Comment

Just one other question.
                  If you only elasticate the top 2 of match kits, why do they come in top 3's?? Is it because of the action of the kit??

Lets imagine then that I've got a Technium XTA with 1 match top 3 and 1 power top 2. What elastics would you suggest for now??

Thanks.

Comment

can you get a bung that will fit a top 2

Comment

Originally ALL poles came with top 3s or if you were lucky top 4s. Then angling took a diversion and carp came into the equation and along came carp poles. These had to be a lot stronger and were made with thicker walls and in high modulus carbon, no need for the puny number one sections anymore! Because these carp were being stocked in waters that already held silver fish it made sense that the pole section configuration followed that of the 'old style' poles which were now called 'Match' poles. So a power top2 can be used to fish at the same depth as a match top3, and pole development has brought poles that come with a variety of kits so you can fish for anything.
                      MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

There are a variety of bungs on the market that can fit a No4 section down to just a match No1. To complicate things even further there are now 'Match/Competition' kits that are made in two sections, totally dispensing with the old No1.
                        MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

Yes towpath 2.Get a storer bung which allows you to wind on extra elastic,so you can adjust the tension.The top 2 bung is larger than a match bung that fits into the number 2 section of a match top 3.[im trying not to confuse you].they are made of plastic so you simply cut along a ridge that will nicely fit up the end of the said section.Also to carpmadmick use no4 maver latex for the match top and no12-14 maver latex for your power top[depending on carp size].Both elastics are quite cheap,and remember put extra on a storer bung so you can adjust to how you like to tension your elastic.i have lost count of the people i have seen losing fish because there elastic is too tight.[i have done it myself]
                          cornerstone.

Comment

what make and size would i need

Comment

Working...
                            X