Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Line for slider float fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line for slider float fishing

Read that thicker line 0.2 is best for slider float fishing. But what make? Never done it before but watched a few videos some recommend casting off the bulk shot some off a couple of BB placed above the bulk. Is one better than the other or give less tangles. Any help or tips on fishing this method appreciated.

I use Maxima 4 or 5lb.I tend to use a string of BBs as bulk instead of 2 or 3 SSGs.A long string of BBs act like a boom and helps to prevent tangles.When casting keep it nice and smooth and feather down so it doesnt land in a heap.Crucially,after plumbing and you are happy with the depth stick the hook in the rod butt and count the rings down from the tip to where the stopknot is,alternatively,mark it`s position with tippex-during the session keep an eye on the knot`s position as it will tend to move during casting and playing fish.

Comment

Nice one, so casting straight off the bulk it is then. Never had to fish like this before so a steep learning curve me thinks. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Another tip is to have a sliding rubber stop 1 1/2ft above your bulk to stop the float crashing into the bulk.Some people use a number 1 shot but due to the weight of the float and the cast,the shot can slip.

Comment

Thats a good idea I will get some of them and give it a go. Hope to have a try this coming weekend.
          Thanks.

Comment

Had a go a few tangles to start with finally sorted it out and caught a few. Need more practice but decent funnot too far behind my mate on the next peg who fished the tip so will definetly give it another go. Thanks Caferacer.

Comment

Good stuff,looks like you have gotten the hang of it.Last time I fished it was in a match and I was coming nowhere,the last hour and a half everyone went quiet with only the odd fish coming out to lads fishing the bomb.I slung out a slider and had a fish a chuck altering between 4 inch overdepth and an inch off bottom,ended up 2nd.It can be deadly on its day.

Comment

Originally posted by caferacer View Post
                I use Maxima 4 or 5lb.I tend to use a string of BBs as bulk instead of 2 or 3 SSGs.A long string of BBs act like a boom and helps to prevent tangles.When casting keep it nice and smooth and feather down so it doesnt land in a heap.Crucially,after plumbing and you are happy with the depth stick the hook in the rod butt and count the rings down from the tip to where the stopknot is,alternatively,mark it`s position with tippex-during the session keep an eye on the knot`s position as it will tend to move during casting and playing fish.
                Excellent advice ,Love Slider fishing both still & running water .Rapidly becoming a dying art /
                When I 1st showed my son how to do it .I was so proud when he took to it like a Duck to water. Fantastic method for Big Bream & Roach on the lower Severn ,It used to be deadly @ Bushley for Chub
                Done right it has to be the most versatile method available for consistent weights

Colin

Comment

Hi Col, It may be a bit of a daft question but would you use the same bodied wagglers for the river? Its not a method I ahve even considered for there may see if I can find anything on youtube to have a look at. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by billynobites View Post
                    Hi Col, It may be a bit of a daft question but would you use the same bodied wagglers for the river? Its not a method I ahve even considered for there may see if I can find anything on youtube to have a look at. All the best.
                    Billy .I prefer big bodied wagglers for most of my Slider fishing as the give extra stability
                    On running water they are easier to control IMO
                    I was brought up using them & they have never let me down
                    Colin

Comment

Will give it a go. Usually fish the bollo or big stick but always open to trying something new.

Comment

Billy have a look @ Cadence fishing videos on you tube
                        James Robbins has just put a video Slider fishing @ Upton on Severn
                        Bream Fishing
                        If you cant find it ,I will ring him to find the link
                        Where are you from ?
                        Colin

Comment

I got few Sensas Alain trotting top and bottom sliders,I find them very good.If you are thinking of giving it a go I would suggest getting a longer rod 16ft or so.The control you have with the longer rod is key to success with this method.I picked up a Shakespeare 16fter for 30quid secondhand.

Comment

A long rod is better I now have a 15ft President & 2 x 16ft no2 Cadence .both are Perfect for the Job .
                            I didn't know anyone made top & bottom Slider's any more !!
                            I have 3 that were given to me by the Legendary Percy Anderson 50yrs ago ., 6 ,8 , 10ssg
                            I also made some long Top & Bottom Sliders with 4" long inserts originally for windy days when there is a bounce on the surface
                            They range from 5 to 12grm .
                            Colin

Comment

What lines do you use for the big top and bottom sliders Col?I like Floatfish in 5lb.I find anything lighter isnt really up to the task.

Comment

Working...
                              X