Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Am i doing something wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i doing something wrong?

Hi guys. I have recently bought a Middy White Knuckle margin pole. I am new to pole fishing and I went fishing the other day to Wassel Grove Fisheries near Halesowen. I tried my new pole out and I caught a 3lb mirror carp, a 2lb f1 carp* and about 11 roach of various sizes. I was using a ready made rig with 7lb mainline and 5.6lb hooklength. I was having lots of bites and I got them on but some of them got off while i was pulling it in. This was frustrating and i want to know what happened. Any advice?

*For those who don't know, an f1 carp is a roach/carp hybrid. They are smaller but still fight like a proper carp. They are also less likely to get K.H.V (Koi Herpes Virus)
    Last edited by pellet waggler guy; 1 August 2009, 06:41 PM.

Originally posted by pellet waggler guy View Post
    *For those who don't know, an f1 carp is a roach/carp hybrid.
    Really?

http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/...arp_f1_f2.html

Comment

Hi guys. I have recently bought a Middy White Knuckle margin pole. I am new to pole fishing and I went fishing the other day to Wassel Grove Fisheries near Halesowen. I tried my new pole out and I caught a 3lb mirror carp, a 2lb f1 carp* and about 11 roach of various sizes. I was using a ready made rig with 7lb mainline and 5.6lb hooklength. I was having lots of bites and I got them on but some of them got off while i was pulling it in. This was frustrating and i want to know what happened. Any advice?

*For those who don't know, an f1 carp is a roach/carp hybrid. They are smaller but still fight like a proper carp. They are also less likely to get K.H.V (Koi Herpes Virus)
      To your point first in a margin pole the elastic should be strong any were around an 18 hollow this is what causes roach and skimmers to be bumped off or lost on the way back but carp can be landed with a short pole. If you want to land smaller fish you need a top kit with lighter elastic in, the line needs to matched with the elastic.

F1's are a carp/crusian hybrid which in the case of F2's have been given the khv in a small dose to make them immune to khv but the debate is wether they can pass it on.
      Steve Davies

Comment

Thanks. Can you tell me more about pole fishing. I have 3 rods of my own but I am totally new to poles. I had my first go when I was at the Go Fishing Show at Cudmore Fisheries where I caught 3 barbel (yes they have barbel in those pools) and a crucian carp. I really liked it so I bought one of my own

Comment

Loss of fish can also be that you are trying to land them to quickly

Comment

dont think your doing much wrong.only thing i would say is slow down everything lighten the elastic as stated by D.N.W and let the elastic do its job think of it like using a rod for the first time you have to get use to it once you got the swing of it then start to speed up but trust me the fish come at there own pace if you rush them you may loose them.(not saying you cant rush them in but just not when your new to pole fishing you will just loose them)as for F1 F2 not right up on motor racing lol
            Paypal gift is for friends only

Comment

losing fish

there could be a dozen reasons why you are losing fish on retrieval, you did not mention what size of fish you were losing, if they were the larger fish maybe you were fishing too far overdepth and the fish were necking the bait resulting in a loose hook hold, maybe hook too small, jerky unshipping etc etc. my advice is to spend some time watching an experienced angler with their permission obviously and ask questions, most anglers will be very obliging. good luck.

mark

Comment

lmao
                [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by adaz View Post
                  you did not mention what size of fish you were losing,
                  It was smaller roach I was losing. I was aiming for bigger species like bream and carp as I was using 22 elastic and halibut jelly pellet on a ready-made carp rig.

Comment

Lots of good advise there PWG.

I have the same advise as Adaz, go for a day with an experienced pole angler. You will get so much from it, regarding elastics to fish sizes and playing/landing diff' sized fish.

Neilio.
                    The inspiration behind the Maver C-Loc method feeder.

Comment

It was smaller roach I was losing. I was aiming for bigger species like bream and carp as I was using 22 elastic and halibut jelly pellet on a ready-made carp rig.
                      Sorry mate, but no wonder you are losing small roach(22 elastic). For them you only need a number 5, or 6 at a push. For your average 3 to 4lb stockies an 8-10 is more than enough in open water. A 22 is for catching lumps in snag pit city---not a good idea for a pole novice. No offence. As for lines in open water, .14 diameter main line to .12 diameter hook length with say a 16 or 14 hook for pellets/corn/meat should suffice. As they say above,watch,look,ask questions, most anglers are only too willing to help. Good luck
                      Last edited by tackle tart; 2 August 2009, 01:48 PM.
                      I got a new rod for the wife. I'll miss her, but it's a quality rod.

Comment

im also relatively new to pole fishing mate.. i have a nose how some other lads are doing and aska few questions to my local tackle shop, the rest is trial and error. 1 thing that i have noticed is making sure you dont have to much slack line between your float and the end of the pole and the first thing i do and spend a good 10 mins doing is plumbing the depth.

Comment

thanx

Comment

re

thanx
                            where are you located m8
                            Paypal gift is for friends only

Comment

I come from west brom/dudley

Comment

Working...