Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

abu 501

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abu 501

after getting a 501 i can remember you had to set up the spool correctly.when you wind the spool rises up and down and you had to set handle in down position,when the spool was in the lowest,or highest position.can you remember exactly which position,thanks.

use to use them but that's news to me , whys that then , you never stop learning in this game

Comment

was told that in correct position line would run more freely.

Comment

Wind handle until spool bottoms out and then refit handle pointing downwards.

This works for the 506

Regards

Comment

cheers mark,also heard only put about 50 turns of line on,thanks again.

Comment

You want the spool positioned back into the reel as far as it can go then position the handle so its hanging down. 50/60 turns of line is about right. cheers John
            John

Comment

sorted thanks lads,shall try out at weekend.

Comment

501 loaded with 50 turns of 2lb line, soft spliced tip rod, 2AAA wagler, 20 hook, single bronze maggot, 10 lbs of roach, Oh such great memories.....................
                Come on you Spurs!

Comment

ha very true i had the 506's i took the back wind out the reel so i didnt have to use the drag, a tip i used to do was get a yellow duster glue it on top of the spool cut the excess of the egde's and the middle out it helped reduce the amount of times the line used to go under the bell mate.
                  [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

i use 501's (2) an 506, only normally put on 50yrds of line which is plenty. Best closed face reels ever

Comment

Vidas, we used to buy green felt & aralided it to the front & rear of the metal spools. sorry the 501/506 were good but the daddy was the 507/508. look at the prices on ebay they tell the story. match spools from fishermans friend, maxima 1.5 lbs reel line, normark titan 2000, pete warren sticks, mustad 90340 oh those were the days on the Thames, Trent, Avon, Severn
                      John

Comment

well said mate they was the days and the 507 was the daddy of all daddy's back then, they could only put 50 yards on cause the line beddin was so bad, nice back then mate but i wouldnt use them now, it did work gluin the felt on thought didnt happen so much, god reading your reply is spot on with the set up it does take you back im a seven avon and trent bloke my self back then just the seven now in the winter for them roach cant wait lol
                        [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                        X