Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Canal Pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canal Pole

After a break from angling of 15 years,i returned to the sport last November.Things have changed quite considerably in that time,and i've kind of lost touch with whats what tackle wise.I've fished a few matches on commercials,and although i've had some reasonable results i've decided it isn't for me,and i'm returning to what i know best which is rivers and canals.
    When i came back last November i had to buy everything,and i mean EVERYTHING ! from scratch,so obviously a compromise had to be reached on outlay for each item of tackle.After asking advice from various people on which sub £500 pole to buy,i eventually bought a Shimano Exage.The pole has been a decent workhorse,and although its not the best pole at its full length (14.5 M) its still a decent tool at 13 Metres,in fact i'm pretty sure it could land anything your likely to encounter on a commercial,and obviously it was designed with commercial fisheries in mind.For fishing light elastics and fine hooklengths on canals though its a lttle bit OTT and is far wider in diameter and heavier than the poles ive used in the past.
    Nearly every modern pole ive looked at seems to be rated to 20+ elastics.Does anyone make a pole thats not designed primarily for commercials,or is there a true allrounder ?
    Cost will be a big consideration and it'll probably be a case of buying second hand to make my £££'s go further,but i'd like peoples views on what pole is likely to be more at home on the canal rather than dragging monsters from the margins of a commercial.
    Thanks in advance,Norm
    Whats a commercial fishery ?

You need an Original Spectron Competition best silvers pole ever made you should pick up a decent one s/h for around £450.

Comment

Originally posted by shark View Post
      You need an Original Spectron Competition best silvers pole ever made you should pick up a decent one s/h for around £450.
      They obviously are the tool then shark,cos your the third person thats said the same thing.Cheers mate

Comment

Give ya 100 quid for your shimano as you aint gona be using it anymore then
        Blind acceptance is a sign of stupid fools that stand in line

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob View Post
          Give ya 100 quid for your shimano as you aint gona be using it anymore then
          £200 and its yours mate.

Comment

Get onto fishermans friend and see if they can get you a dam futron. The best canal pole ever made. Recently sold mine to tk as I do not fish cuts anymore. Uni top kits fitted straight onto it as well. May be an old model pole but any cut man worth his salt will tell you how good they were.

Comment

I Have also returned to the sport after a long gap and also primaraly fish canals and rivers. Maver poles get a lot of bad press but i have found they are ideal for the canal. For £500 you could get a good 2nd hand pole such as Maver 301, 371. The poles previously mentioned are also ideal. I would love to have The Daiwa Spectron but unfortunatly its out of my price range at the moment

Comment

I also think the original Daiwa Spectron is a very good pole and will also be at home on commercials, i have a mate who wouldn't swap his for anything. I do also think you will be very lucky to find one for £450, i have seen them go for around £650 ++ as they are still a very sought after pole.
                The new Daiwa Spectron M2 is also an out and out silvers pole in my opinion and you should get a 2nd hand one for around £800.

Comment

ill go as high as £150 shakey cus ive seen ya use it remember

Comment

ill go as high as £150 shakey cus ive seen ya use it remember
                    Well it cost me £312 and i've worked out that its won me £223 since January,so i reckon its worth at least £223

Comment

Just like you I came back after 10 years away & found that the poles in my price range were all designed for carp waters & as you say big in diameter. When I packed in I had a Daiwa Amorphous Tournament AWP 14m which was a brilliant all rounder but very expensive at the time. I have just bought one off ebay with top kits for £240 & its still a great pole. So good slim all round poles are out there so keep looking on ebay or on the for sale forum on here. cheers John
                      John

Comment

223 quid ur having a laff ull u ever done is moan about it lol.......throw in all ur commie floats and terminal gear and ill go to 155 tops

Comment

223 quid ur having a laff ull u ever done is moan about it lol.......throw in all ur commie floats and terminal gear and ill go to 155 tops
                          Oops.......make that £268,3rd today, 3rd £20,3rd in super pool £25

Comment

Working...
                          X