Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Rig line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig line

Hey,
    i went to go buy some line today to make my rigs for sunday but they didn't have any silstar team line but he told me about some garbolino line. it's £7-8 for 150m and its 0.14 is 6lb as the silstar 0.14 is 4lb. does anyone know the name of this line and is it as good as the shopkeeper made it out to be?

Thanks

hi mate it aint as good as its made out to be ur better or going on ebay and buying silstar or gamakatsu super g which is even better in diameter which .12 is 5.1lb hope this helps
    :DFishinG Is GooD,CatchinG Is BetteR:D

Comment

genesis smart mate give it a go
      nige cooke

Comment

Are the diametres accurate though?

I suspect they arnt.

Comment

preston power line prob not the correct diameters but ive used it for years never let me down but each to there own, the maver genesis surposed to be ok as well
          [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

Powerline is about 0.02 out and so is Silstar.

I know someone who tests them.

Fox Micro Plus is spot on.

Comment

Most rig mono is the same breaking strain for a given daimeter. Be VERY sceptical of any lines claiming to be stronger than others. They are either thicker or exaggerating!!

Comment

The Garbo line will be OK. I suspect it will be slightly over stated for strength and slightly under rated for diameter. When I've tested it at home, I found it to be very slightly thicker than stated.
                Beware any line that claims to be much stronger than 3lb for 0.12, 4lb for 0.14, 5lb for 0.16 etc. They are probably using a dodgy testing regime, not testing knotted line or much thicker than they claim to be.
                The bottom line is; if you find a line that you are confident in and know exactly how far you can push it when playing fish, you should stick with it. If it is thicker than claimed, but you are aware of that and by how much, then you can work with that knowledge and be at no disadvantage.
                The number of anglers who are happy with Preston Powerline will attest to that argument!
                As for me, I would happily use Garbo line, but stick with my favourite Sensas Feeling, mainly because I have worked with it for years so understand it well, and I can easily buy it locally.
                The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
                Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
                Check out:
                www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
                log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

Am i alone in using 2 different lines ?
                  For my summer work i use super G and when it gets to winter i tie my rigs with antares.
                  I find the antares slightly more supple and am convinced it gets me more bites in the winter.
                  On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
                    Am i alone in using 2 different lines ?
                    Probably not, depends on a lot of factors like venue, species, even type of bait sometimes. I recently shot a magazine article with an angler who uses different lines at different times of year just like you. He also sometimes uses one instead of the other if he's fishing worms for skimmers rather than corn for carp.

I use Sensas Feeling for 75% of my fishing, but will also use Silstar Matchteam if I think a supple line is needed. Preston Grande Match is my first choice on clear rivers and hard, clear winter commercials, but it is very stiff (like all fluorocarbons) so I wouldn't use it normally with some colour in the water.

I also have some Garbo line, Browning Cenitan (or whatever the newer equivalent is) and Mosella Xedion in my tackle shed. If I run out of Feeling I will happily use any of them, especially for main lines.
                    I have also used Pro Micron (now Fox Micro Plus) and Shimano Silk Shock in the past and I can't really tell any difference between any of them. They are all pretty close (within 0.005mm) to stated diameters and seem to be about the same for abrasion resistance and suppleness.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that some of them are the same line with different branding.
                    The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
                    Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
                    Check out:
                    www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
                    log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

ty guys

Comment

Working...
                      X